Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Intro and need a little help

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Intro and need a little help

Postby littlepenguin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 05:56 pm

by littlepenguin (1 Posts), Mon Jun 11, 2012 05:56 pm

Hi Ladies- I have been lurking for a while and I decided since I was pregnant again to register and introduce myself. I had severe Pre-e with my first child which developed into HELLP syndrome. I was feeling sick and had bad headaches for a while, but since my BP was okay no one seemed worried even though my son was measuring a few weeks behind. At 30 weeks I went into to the dr. and saw a different dr. than my own and told her I was really not feeling well and had headaches that tylenol didn't seem to help, plus I was really swollen. She said my Bp was fine, so I had nothing to worry about and sent me home. She was quite dismissive. That was Tuesday. On Sunday, I woke up at 4am and vomited, like exorcist vomited, and I had the worst headache of my life. My BP was measuring 180/90, so I called the on-call dr. and he said I should stay on my left side laying down and they would get me in to be seen in the morning. About 10 pm I couldn't handle it anymore and we headed to L&D. When I walked in the nurses were stunned that I could even stand up. My BP was 220/118 and going up rapidly. I had already developed HELLP. I had an emergency c-section almost immediately. My son was doing quite well at the beginning, and we got positive reports about his progress every day. We spent as much time as possible with him in the NICU. Then on the third day, his heart stopped and they were unable to resuscitate him. We still really haven't been given a reason why. The dr's say they don't really know and we didn't do an autopsy.

Fast forward a bit, and we are expecting again. We met with an MFM and our regular OB before making the decision to try again. When we did that we had a plan with the MFM that we would switch over to them at 13 weeks, have more frequent U/S, do the LDA, and generally be under close supervision. I have been seeing my regular OB up to this point and things look good so far. We should have switched over this week to the MFM. Here is the issue, our MFM left the practice for a bigger hospital and now the MFM practice is not sure if they want to take us (they have two other drs). I called them a week ago and they said they would check and get back to us. When I called today, they still didn't have any answers for us. We should have an appointment next week, but at this rate I doubt they even call me back by then. When I brought this up with my regular OB, she said they were thinking of co-managing with her. I am really not sure about this, I like my regular OB but she isn't very forthcoming with information. I always have to prompt her for info and she doesn't seem very proactive. Plus the dr. from my first pregnancy who was so dismissive might end up having to deliver if we stay with this practice. Actually, my current dr. keeps telling me that this pregnancy "could be totally normal!" and seems very positive, which is nice, but it seems like she doesn't really think this is a serious issue that should be watched. I had to remind her about the LDA and the 24 hour urine test that was recommended for us by the MFM. I feel blind sided by this dr. issue. We are considering looking for an MFM in the closest metro area, but that would be a three hour drive. There is only the one practice in our area. Any advice?

Sorry this is so long!
littlepenguin

Re: Intro and need a little help

Postby Petunia » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 am

by Petunia (60 Posts), Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Littlepenguin, it's good to see you over here. I wish I had suggestions for you... but I already responded to you on the bump... hopefully someone else here has some good advice for you!
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Re: Intro and need a little help

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 09:58 am

by caryn (10124 Posts), Wed Jun 13, 2012 09:58 am

Our Experts are in consensus that anyone with a history of hypertensive pregnancy would benefit from MFM oversight in a subsequent pregnancy. I'm not sure why the MFM practice is hesitant to take you, but I would probably try mentioning that the Preeclampsia Foundation's Medical Board has advised all women with a history of HELLP to be followed by an MFM and then ask directly if they are going to take you, or if you need to contact a different provider.

The thing is, family docs and OBs don't see this very often. MFMs see preeclampsia all the time and HELLP with high frequency; this disease is their bread-and-butter.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?