Hi Ladies- I have been lurking for a while and I decided since I was pregnant again to register and introduce myself. I had severe Pre-e with my first child which developed into HELLP syndrome. I was feeling sick and had bad headaches for a while, but since my BP was okay no one seemed worried even though my son was measuring a few weeks behind. At 30 weeks I went into to the dr. and saw a different dr. than my own and told her I was really not feeling well and had headaches that tylenol didn't seem to help, plus I was really swollen. She said my Bp was fine, so I had nothing to worry about and sent me home. She was quite dismissive. That was Tuesday. On Sunday, I woke up at 4am and vomited, like exorcist vomited, and I had the worst headache of my life. My BP was measuring 180/90, so I called the on-call dr. and he said I should stay on my left side laying down and they would get me in to be seen in the morning. About 10 pm I couldn't handle it anymore and we headed to L&D. When I walked in the nurses were stunned that I could even stand up. My BP was 220/118 and going up rapidly. I had already developed HELLP. I had an emergency c-section almost immediately. My son was doing quite well at the beginning, and we got positive reports about his progress every day. We spent as much time as possible with him in the NICU. Then on the third day, his heart stopped and they were unable to resuscitate him. We still really haven't been given a reason why. The dr's say they don't really know and we didn't do an autopsy.
Fast forward a bit, and we are expecting again. We met with an MFM and our regular OB before making the decision to try again. When we did that we had a plan with the MFM that we would switch over to them at 13 weeks, have more frequent U/S, do the LDA, and generally be under close supervision. I have been seeing my regular OB up to this point and things look good so far. We should have switched over this week to the MFM. Here is the issue, our MFM left the practice for a bigger hospital and now the MFM practice is not sure if they want to take us (they have two other drs). I called them a week ago and they said they would check and get back to us. When I called today, they still didn't have any answers for us. We should have an appointment next week, but at this rate I doubt they even call me back by then. When I brought this up with my regular OB, she said they were thinking of co-managing with her. I am really not sure about this, I like my regular OB but she isn't very forthcoming with information. I always have to prompt her for info and she doesn't seem very proactive. Plus the dr. from my first pregnancy who was so dismissive might end up having to deliver if we stay with this practice. Actually, my current dr. keeps telling me that this pregnancy "could be totally normal!" and seems very positive, which is nice, but it seems like she doesn't really think this is a serious issue that should be watched. I had to remind her about the LDA and the 24 hour urine test that was recommended for us by the MFM. I feel blind sided by this dr. issue. We are considering looking for an MFM in the closest metro area, but that would be a three hour drive. There is only the one practice in our area. Any advice?
Sorry this is so long!