Anyone else taking super greens?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Anyone else taking super greens?

Postby Petunia » Thu Jun 07, 2012 06:59 pm

With this pregnancy I've done a few things on my own, just based on intuition... one of them was seeing and acupuncturist. I started because I wanted help with my anxiety and dealing with my loss just before I was pregnant. After meeting with her I just felt like she was going to be a really beneficial part of my "team" getting through this pregnancy. She suggested that I start adding super greens to my smoothie, it has algea, spurelina, that kind of thing in it...all natural and organic. Anyways, I started it about a month ago maybe? Two weeks after I started it I had a regular checkup with a b/p check of course and my b/p was at an all time excellent for me, my normal is 120/80 and this was 110/80... I can't remember the last time I'd had a 110. This is no meds, no bedrest, no other changes...and this all time awesome b/p came right about at 20 weeks! I hadn't even thought of the possibility of the greens helping with that... I just thought they couldn't hurt in case I'm missing some things in my diet, and I decided to trust this acupuncturist (within reason of course) so I went with it. Out of curiosity I googled it and it looks like some kinds at least claim to help with b/p in 25% of people... so I'm just curious if anyone else has tried them? I've only had one b/p reading so far... so obviously not a conclusive answer, I'll be curious to see what my next reading is.
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Re: Anyone else taking super greens?

Postby amjon » Sat Jun 09, 2012 09:47 am

Pregnancy can also cause a drop, so it could just be that. (Or it can go the other way, it's so confusing sometimes.) I had a big drop at 8 weeks this time and had to stop my BP meds as I was getting too dizzy to stand. Not sure when it will go back up again.
ImageImage
amjon

Postby LBD30 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 09:00 pm

I did acupuncture throughout my whole pregnancy. I also did greens as recommended and chinese herbs. My bp started going up at 32 weeks and I still severe pre-e despite it at 34 weeks. I am a huge believer in acupuncture and if it makes you feel good, keep doing it.
Lilah born 5/30/11 - emergency c-section at 33.5 weeks due to severe pre-e
LBD30

Postby Ellenwbailey » Thu Jun 14, 2012 09:39 pm

Hi! What brand of super greens are you taking ? I googled and there are a million! Can you include a link of possible? Very very early in second pregnancy but think this is a good idea, and will of course ask my OB.
Ellenwbailey

Postby caryn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 08:09 am

It's normal to see a bp drop at mid-pregnancy - search the forums for "second trimester dip" - because the placenta is well-established enough to release a lot of vasodilators. It does this so that our bodies can accommodate the increased plasma volume of pregnancy. So you may well just be seeing that underlying mechanism in play.

If anyone has brand names to share, please do so through private messages to keep advertising off the boards. Thank you.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?