spilling protein

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 05:54 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: spilling protein

Postby aajatwins » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:01 pm

I agree, there is definitely cause for close monitoring moving forward for you because of your history. The diagnosis only requires 2 BP readings of 140/90 or higher (at two different sittings), so it's not like you have to wait for it to get up there and stay for a while. Do you know your baseline BP?
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)

Registered User
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: spilling protein

Postby amjon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 07:34 pm

I lost my daughter with only trace protein and pressures just starting to get to 140/90, so I would insist that they monitor me more closely if it was getting close to that. (I would probably tell them to admit me to the hospital for constant monitoring, but we've now lost both of our pregnancies at 27 and 6 weeks.)

Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: spilling protein

Postby sam10 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 05:40 pm

I would be worried as you are, especially with your history. I agree with you that close monitoring should be the game plan moving forward. I assume you are not being seen by an MFM/peri? If not, I would try to get under the care of a specialist, at least in the form of co-management.
Are you taking your BP at home? Taking it and reporting your log to the doctor might be also a good idea. But perhaps you are already doing so.

Thinking of you.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

spilling protein

Postby angvbc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 02:49 pm

I am 35 weeks with my third baby. i had pree at 31weeks with my first and delivered immediately. no pree with my second baby. i went to the doctor a few days ago and my bp was 136/86. i had 30mg of protein in my dipstick urine. i was really upset (at the time i didn't know what a normal dipstick reading would be, but now i do) and asked them to order a 24 hour collection for me (even tho they didn't seem to care a bit about my history of pree). i just called the doctor and my 24 hour was 255 mg. i know a diagnosis requires consistent bp of 140/90+ and 300+mg of protein in a 24 hour study so i do not meet the diagnosis requirements yet. but don't you think i should have close monitoring since i'm already close to both limits? i do, but my doctor doesn't seem worried. idk.....

i don't think this will happen on this website but please no "at least you're already 35 weeks" comments. my 31 weeker will be five in November and is still requires oxygen at times and has a gtube all because of his prematurity.


Return to “Pregnant Again?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests