What specific tests?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

What specific tests?

Postby ellemoon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 08:37 am

What blood tests will the MFM order before TTC again after pre-e? I know they will test for autoimmune and blood clotting disorders but does anyone know what specific tests they order?

I was going to go ahead and have the doctor that I work with order the blood work so it would be ready when I see MFM July 26th- to be one step ahead. I can't believe my regular OB didn't order any blood work... :?
Leslie (26) DH (28)
Chronic hypertensive since age 17
DD- born April 24, 2011 due to severe pre-e at 29w1d weighing 2lbs, 11oz
Diagnosed with homozygous MTHFR C677T
Pregnant with #2! Due 9/2/13 but will deliver at 36-37 weeks due to classical csection.
(Labetolol, HCTZ, Aspirin 81mg, Calcium, Mag, Zinc, D, Fish Oil, Fiber gummies, Folic Acid)
ellemoon

Re: What specific tests?

Postby caryn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 04:43 pm

There isn't a standard workup; all MFMs use their judgment and intuition to order different tests. :)

I would want a baseline urinalysis and ANA at least, plus a family history. Most clotting disorders haven't panned out as causal in research but some docs will still check for them. The autoimmune stuff is definitely relevant.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby LeosMom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 09:05 pm

Hi,
My MFM ordered tests for antiphospholipid syndrome (clotting disorder), specifically
ANTI-CARDIOLIPIN,
CIRCUL ANTICOAG/CAC SCRN, and
B 2 GPI IGG & IGM.
(Not sure if those are the official names, but I just looked on my online med chart and that's what it said)
Hope this helps!
-Cori
LeosMom

Postby amjon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 am

I would ask for thyroid too as I just found out that may be my problem after the death of our second.
ImageImage
amjon

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia