Sonogram Update

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Sonogram Update

Postby kbielec » Fri Jun 15, 2012 08:45 am

Well I am hoping for a little reassurance.
Had my 19 week 3 days sono appt on Wednesday. Baby girl looked good, measuring 7oz - which they mentioned was "small" (but everything I have read for 19 weeks suggest that's about average). Placenta was 9.7oz and the unterine atery flow to it was "great"...but they said the cord flow to baby girl wasn't as good as it should be and they don't know why. Said she's small...etc. What's got me confused is that when you read what she and placenta should be a 19 weeks they are booth average or better. I don't know...it's hard, all I want is this to be a success...I am on 160 of lovenox broken up to 2 times daily, lda, folic acid and a prenatal...my BP readings are nothing but AMAZING averaging about 103/62 I am not swelling, I feel good...it's so frustrating. Could it be they thought I was further along than 19 weeks? They were hoping for her to be 9oz...but when I read (can you tell I am a reader) it says that she may not weigh that until late in 20 weeks...ugh. Anyway, I landed myself "working from home" for 2 weeks per the doctor trying to take away any stress and then back for another sono on the 26th. Thoughts?
Mom to Annabelle born at 26 weeks due to HELLP (2008) I found out I had Factor V and MTHFR after delivery.
(12/2011) miscarriage, twin boys 8 weeks, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
(02/2012) Pregnant - praying for beautiful take home baby due Nov. 3, 2012, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
kbielec

Re: Sonogram Update

Postby Petunia » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:14 am

I'm sorry you didn't get better news from your doctor and that they are confusing you. I don't have any advice, I just know how frustrating it is after going through so much, you feel like you just deserve perfect appointments every time. I felt this way when they told me I had a marginal cord insertion, that I just didn't need one more thing to stress about. I really hope it's nothing to be concerned about... but I know how hard it is not to stress.
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Postby danielsmom » Fri Jun 15, 2012 03:03 pm

I really hate that this is upsetting you. Sometimes there's a downside to being watched so closely. There's probably many normal healthy pregnancies that would show growth spurts and lags too. Question: how sure are you about your gestation? My OB figured my gestation at 4 days past my LMP because we had several growth measurements consistently putting it there instead. Even my home pregnancy test didn't show up positive until 3-4 days late. That said, I found this chart helpful: http://www.baby2see.com/medical/charts.html. It does show 9 oz for 19 weeks. The weight chart at the top might be for completed weeks, but it doesn't say so like the other length charts do. So if you're showing 7 oz and just completed 18 weeks 3 days ago, you're right, that's not too far off.

How are the length measurements, like for the long bones? Those measurements may be spot on, but they take an average of everything to figure the overall weight. The baby is just now starting to put some growth on. I would try not to get worried until you really get out of the gate, or really past 20 weeks... but I know, all you want to hear right now is anything positive. Congrats on making it this far with good BP and everything. I'll keep you in my prayers and I'll be hoping to hear something positive on the 26th!
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Postby kbielec » Fri Jun 15, 2012 04:19 pm

They didn't share her other measurements with me. They just kept saying "looks good" about her measurements, then "looks great" about the placenta artery flow on both the left and the right and then they told me the placenta itself looked good at almost 10oz...then they were like "hmmmmmmmmm" that's weird...cord flow isn't as good as we'd like and she's a little small. It's just so frustrating.
I mean I am not showing any signs (thank goodness) of PE yet. No swelling, no head aches (other than a random one from a stuffy head), no high BP, actually it's a bit on the low side. So I just don't understand. So now we are "just trying to get to 26" weeks to have a fighting chance with her.
I am hoping this out of work and traffic and stress rest will help me over the next week and a half and give her a chance to grow grow grow.
Here's a question, I was sick last week, like throwing up and head cold and in bed for 2 days not eating a lot kind of sick...lost a pound myself...could that effect her growth? :)
Mom to Annabelle born at 26 weeks due to HELLP (2008) I found out I had Factor V and MTHFR after delivery.
(02/2012) Pregnant - praying for beautiful take home baby due Nov. 3, 2012, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
kbielec

Postby mllewellyn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 05:43 pm

I asked a few questions about this to an ultrasound tech that I know and who also does the majority of my ultrasounds. She told me that this is not an exact science. Much of the results are dependent upon the tech and how closely the measurements are made. These measurements can vary +/- from one tech to another on the same day using same equipment. I would keep an eye on the meaasurements and ask a lot of questions, but perhaps the next scan will have better results.
I was told I had low amniotic fluid but the next week (8), I had 12. I was drinking the same amount of water/liquids and resting as much as the week before. I was measured by someone I didn't know when they told me that, but the next week, Lisa, my friend, did the measurements. She knew I was concerned and made sure to measure everything very closely.
Good luck!
mllewellyn

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm so bummed you got news that worries you. Any bump in pregnancy after loss is just completely unfair. I will keep all crossables crossed that everything will be just fine at the next u/s... and this will be the only and only bump you hit during this pregnancy. Please keep posted!
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby kbielec » Mon Jun 18, 2012 08:18 am

Thanks for your posts...I am resting, working from home and eating healthy drinking lots of water. Hoping that baby girl is growing growing and we'll take a peak again on the 26th. My BP has been averaging 108/62 since I have been working from home, so that's good...just trying to do what I can to give her best chance.
kbielec

Postby kbielec » Mon Jun 25, 2012 08:20 am

Headed back to the MFM this Wednesday early morning to take another peek at Baby Girl. I am hoping the home rest and laying on the left and eating some suggested foods the MFM told me about have helped a bit and she's put on a little bit of weight. Time will tell I guess, in the meanwhile, I am already thinking about the appt. and a bit nervous to say the least.
Everything else is good with me at this point though - the BP has been holding steady under 112/64 mostly in the 108 109 range. I have had no swelling in my hands and feet as of now...so that's a bonus...by this time with Annabelle I was on my way to really swollen. I am feeling pretty good, rested, not stressed like I am when I am working in the office...so hopefully that's helping my cause.
Have a good couple days, I'll keep you posted.
kbielec

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Jun 25, 2012 01:50 pm

I'm keeping all crossables crossed that the measurement last time was your one lil' bump and Wednesday's appointment brings all good news and those awesome words "Everything looks normal."

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby danielsmom » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Is your appt tomorrow or Wednesday? I really hope that all is well and you get some much deserved reassurance. You're in my prayers.

Kristi
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?