Me vs HELLP. Round 2!

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Me vs HELLP. Round 2!

Postby RacersMama5410 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 03:25 pm

Hi guys,
So I got HELLP syndrome when I was 36weeks along with my 1st child and had to have a emergency C-section. I had a friend when I was younger whose mother died from HELLP syndrome so naturally it was a pretty nerve racking experience, especially since it developed and went full blown in about 2 days time. I am currently trying to have baby # 2 but I am super concerned about developing HELLP again. Also my husband has said that if I do get sick agian this will be the last baby :cry: I know there is no TRUE preventatives against HELLP but I would love any advice y'all can offer me. I want to have a healthy pregnancy and a natural birth if at all possible.
Thanks!
RacersMama5410

Re: Me vs HELLP. Round 2!

Postby tree » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Welcome to the forums!
We all wish that there was a preventative regimen that could be even marginally effective against PE and HELLP. Many women have a consult with an MFM (high risk OB) before conceiving again in order to discuss their risks, consider testing for underlying conditions, and develop a care/monitoring plan for the next pregnancy. Very few of us have any underlying conditions, but it would be important to know if you have something like a thyroid, autoimmune, or clotting issue that could contribute to your risk for developing PE or HELLP. If you can't see an MFM before you get pregnant, it would probably be a good idea to discuss a care plan and testing for underlying conditions with your OB. Make sure that you are comfortable with your medical team, then hope that you don't need them for anything non-routine.
In good news, our risks for PE are much lower in subsequent pregnancies. If it does happen, it is usually later onset and less severe.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders