Concerned at 35+2 wks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re: Concerned at 35+2 wks

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Jun 11, 2012 06:52 pm

Oy, I'm so sorry your pressures continue to be so high. While I hope your labs come back all normal, I also think trusting your gut on when it's the best time to call in to be checked out at the hospital could be your guide.

We were one of those folks who spent the last week inpatient (36w-37w) because we had pressures similar to yours and we really wanted to get to 36w and our doctor was just most comfortable doin' that last week with all eyes on me just in case things went south fast, and they did at 36w6d. It was a big ugh to spend that last week in the hospital. I felt very guilty for being there so far along when I knew many patients were probably much earlier, at the same time it was also very reassuring, and I'm sure the serious hospital bed rest ie. meals brought to me, no cleaning etc. is what got us those extra days to make official full term.

I continue to keep you in my thoughts and hope the next few days are very smooth for you!
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby evp12 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:46 pm

A quick update: baby Harrison was born this evening via emergency csection. He was 7lbs 6oz and 20" - and is happy, healthy and looking great!! I had a seizure this afternoon (or so they think). When I got to hospital my bp was 202/98 and my proteins were "high" (I haven't got the actual number yet). They decided not to chance an induction, and csection went smoothly. I'm on mag now and am feeling pretty cruddy. Not to mention my bruised cheek and bitten tongue :(

Thanks to ALL for your support over the past few weeks!! I will update more soon and will hopefully include a picture of the little guy... I'm just so happy he's here and HEALTHY! :)
Erin (30)
#1 - Daughter Mackenzie 04-18-2006, 40+4 wks, mild pre-e
#2 - Son Mason 05-14-2007, 37 wks, pre-e
#3 - Son Harrison 06-13-2012, 36+4 wks, emergency cs, severe eclampsia
evp12

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Oh my goodness, how very scary! I'm so thankful that you are ok, and that baby Harrison is doing well!!

Welcome to the outside world lil' one!!

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Thu Jun 14, 2012 09:25 pm

Congrats and welcome to the world Harrison! I am sorry you had to go through all of that in order to meet him. The mag is terrible, but it is better than not having it.
I am so happy to hear that he is healthy. I hope that you start feeling better soon.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby biokatie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 09:05 am

Wow...happy everything is good...but scary that it went like that....I guess it is a good lesson to us, your partner, your doc etc...sorry about the mag. Get some rest mama and congrats.
Edward IV born 12-2-09 4 1/2 lbs at 36 weeks due to severe preeclampsia and IUGR.
Expecting a BOY in July.
biokatie

Postby evp12 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 07:39 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to update... it's been hectic. Amazing... but hectic. Hard to believe that a week has passed since my little guy was born.

My story:

As you know, I had been experiencing symptoms that were concerning me for almost 2.5 weeks. Last Wednesday I was alone at home. I remember using the bathroom and then waking up on the floor some time later. I pulled the toilet paper holder out of the wall somehow, and hit my left eye (luckily only a bruise!). My tongue was bleeding as well. I laid on the couch for a while until my mother in law came over to drive me to pick up my kids from school. (Since I had been feeling dizzy that week, she didn't want me driving). I assumed that I had only fainted and that it wasn't a big deal, since my symptoms were the same that I had been experiencing and telling my doctor about with no apparent concern from my OB. I told my mother in law what had happened, and she had my call my OB on the way to pick up my kids from school. My OB asked me to go into L&D to be monitored as a result. I figured this would be a quick "in and out" monitoring since my symptoms were the same as they always had been. When I got up to L&D at 7pm, my bp was 202/98 and my protein was +4 - this was surprising to me since my labs just two days earlier were perfect. Due to the high bp and protein, my OB diagnosed me with eclampsia and believes that my fainting episode was really an eclamptic seizure. I was prepped for an emergency csection, and my little guy was born at 8:26pm. He was 7lbs 6oz and absolutely perfect :)

I am exclusively breast feeding and he's doing amazing. I'm so happy that he's healthy and that I'm finally home!

My bp after the magnesium was great for about 24 hours. The day prior to my discharge, it went up again and has stayed at 160-180/100-110 ever since. My follow up OB appointment is tomorrow afternoon and I'm really not sure what he's going to do. I'm on 30mg Procardia XL once per day, but that hasn't brought my bp down. And my headache has come back full force as of two days ago. Sigh. I just want to be done with doctors and hospitals and finally feel better.

So... lots of questions for those experienced with this:

Does anyone have experience with post partum high blood pressure after eclampsia? Are there any risks of another seizure or anything else happening? Is there anything I can do to prevent? What is the typical treatment for this situation? Since I'm already one week post partum, does that mean I'm "out of the woods"?

Thanks again for your continued support!!
Erin (30)
#1 - Daughter Mackenzie 04-18-2006, 40+4 wks, mild pre-e
#2 - Son Mason 05-14-2007, 37 wks, pre-e
#3 - Son Harrison 06-13-2012, 36+4 wks, emergency cs, severe eclampsia
evp12

Postby angieb » Wed Jun 20, 2012 09:51 pm

With bp's as high as you mentioned, I would expect they would try more/different meds and/or possibly even send you back to the hospital until they are better. (I'm not sure really how high of pressures they will tolerate when you aren't pregnant, but you are absolutely still at risk for a stroke or seizure.) Some women develop postpartum preeclampsia up to 6 weeks after delivery, so unfortunately you are not out of the woods.

Hope your bp comes down and you are feeling better soon!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby lotsamom » Mon Jul 02, 2012 05:57 pm

How are you doing? I hope your bp ended up coming down soon after posting. When I had preeclampsia with my daughter I had a terrible time getting decent post partum care. It was very scary for me. Things got worse for a couple of weeks before they got better.
lotsamom

Previous

Return to Ask the Experienced