Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Thoughts and Advice on Size @ 33 weeks

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Thoughts and Advice on Size @ 33 weeks

Postby mllewellyn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 07:14 am

by mllewellyn (61 Posts), Tue Jun 19, 2012 07:14 am

At 27 weeks, I had an ultrasound and Gabriel measured 49th percentile and everything looked good. The OB office does growth ultrasounds to measure weight and other measurements every three weeks. At 30 weeks, Gabriel measured 39th percentile and I had lower fluid (11 to 9). That's when I questioned the whole thing with my friend who is a tech. Yesterday, I had another scan. Gabriel is measuring in the 19th percentile. He weighs 3 lbs 13 oz (up from 3lbs, 1oz three weeks ago). My OB actually showed me the report that is generated by the US computer. His abdomen is measuring right but his head is in <5 percentile. I guess this means I have IUGR? My fluid levels dropped from 11 to 5 since Friday. But, the last time they told me this, it went back up at the next US 3-4 days later. My BPs have been normal to high normal (130s/80s) but I have had a few days of high BPs (over 140/90 but not many beyond this parameter). I am maxed on aldomet (3000 mg/day). I am not sure that the meds are working since he is not growing fast enough. He is moving and he moves a lot, which is good. He was trying to breathe at the US yesterday. On the BPP, he did well on each category except fluid. I have been diagnosed with PIH only. I am not spilling protein. In my last 24 collection, it was "inconclusive". When my OB got those results, she called them and they told her I had almost no protein in the collection. My PIH blood work (liver and platelets) are normal. My OB told me yesterday that we would wait until it was obvious that growth was completely restricted before inducing and her hands are kind of tied since I don't have pre-e. She said I would be induced if BPs were 160/110 or higher, my fluid levels dropped some more, there was a decrease in fetal movement OR if I developed pre-e. I am 33w2d today.
If Gabriel is measuring smaller than normal (in weight, he is a week behind) how might this affect him if he is born soon? I understand that he will likely have trouble breathing and learning to suck/breathe together. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? I am really open to all situations at this point because I really have no idea what to expect except the NICU and I don't even know much about this. I worry that if his head is so small he might encounter a brain bleed or something similar. Everyone keeps saying "Oh you've made it to 33 weeks, you are doing great, everything will be fine you are far enough along." WHy don't I feel relief with these comments?
Thanks for anything you have to share. I am a little scared and sad that this is happening.
Mistie
mllewellyn

Re: Thoughts and Advice on Size @ 33 weeks

Postby kbielec » Tue Jun 19, 2012 07:30 am

by kbielec (254 Posts), Tue Jun 19, 2012 07:30 am

I wish I had some words of advice for you but I feel like I am reading my own post when I read yours...I am so sorry you are going through this.
I will say this, your son is a nice weight and you are 33 weeks, I feel like this gives you odds on your side if he has to come early. Another positive is you aren't sick, no pe or hellp so that's good. I will be thinking of you and praying for you! Hang in there... :)
Mom to Annabelle born at 26 weeks due to HELLP (2008) I found out I had Factor V and MTHFR after delivery.
(12/2011) miscarriage, twin boys 8 weeks, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
(02/2012) Pregnant - praying for beautiful take home baby due Nov. 3, 2012, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
kbielec

Postby crocusgirl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 09:21 pm

by crocusgirl (26 Posts), Tue Jun 19, 2012 09:21 pm

My daughter was born at 32 weeks, with IUGR. I had severe PE and HELLP, and I was hospitalized for 8 days before she was born my emergency c-section due to HELLP. She was small for her gestational age - only 2.5 lbs when she should have been 4 lb or more. She quit growing well at about week 28 or 29. She did really well once she was born. She never had any issues with breathing or eating. She was in hospital for 5 weeks, and only lost weight overnight once. She was feed by gavage tube for about 3.5 weeks (I was pumping) until she was ready to suck - bottle went easier than breast. Came home at 37 weeks, at just about 5 lb. Now she's 2, and you'd never know she was a preemie. From the time I was admitted, the NICU staff was very positive about her outcomes. At 33 weeks and a pretty good weight, I think you don't need to panic. Hope that helps! :)
Severe PE/HELLP - diagnosed 31 weeks, Violet born 32 weeks - April 23, 2010 - 2.5 lb (IUGR). 5 weeks in NICU, home and going strong.
crocusgirl

Postby mllewellyn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 04:32 am

by mllewellyn (61 Posts), Wed Jun 20, 2012 04:32 am

It does help a lot. I have spent a great deal of time worrying about Gabriel. Thanks to both of you for your posts. I hope that all goes well for both of you!
M
mllewellyn

Postby angieb » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 pm

I don't think you are officially IUGR yet. I might be mistaken but I think it's 10%ile or near that...

I have heard that IUGR babies often do better than bigger babies because they adapt to the restricted blood flow or something like that.

Have they thought about decreasing your meds? Are you seeing an MFM? Have you had any blood flow studies done lately?
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby mllewellyn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 06:09 am

by mllewellyn (61 Posts), Thu Jun 21, 2012 06:09 am

I have an ultrasound with doppler of blood flow twice a week. I don't know if there is anything else they can do for blood flow? Are there other tests? I can ask them and they will do them. I know that they have dealt with situations like mine, but they are treating me as if I were on hospitalized bedrest and coming to docs. They are excellent and I see my OB and the MFM each week since I have two appointments/week.
They increased my BP meds on Monday. My BPs were getting over the 140/90 mark. Now, they are pretty good 125-130s/78-80s. I don't have protein in my urine at all. I dip daily and I know that is not always the most reliable measurement (24 hour collection better), and my blood work (liver, platelets) are normal. What I am having trouble understanding is the rate of growth on certain body parts: head measures <5th percentil and then the abdomen is normal. I really don't understand ow somethings are growing and others are not. I am worried that the differences in growth will affect him if he is born early. From my reading, I have learned that I am in a good place for his survival, he weighs in at almost 4 lbs and I have made it to almost 34 weeks (I am 33w 4d). I have actually seen him trying to breathe on the US so I know he is getting himself ready. I just worry and probably too much.
THANKS for your questions, and if there are any answers you have or know, I would love to read them.
I must say that this board is really a great one. You have all made me feel a little better when I read your posts and replies. There are a bunch of really sincere and genuine people here which is so helpful.
M
mllewellyn

Postby angieb » Thu Jun 21, 2012 08:56 am

by angieb (1192 Posts), Thu Jun 21, 2012 08:56 am

I would probably still try to get steroid shots, if you haven't already, just in case, as an extra precaution.

The blood flow studies I mentioned are the same that you sai tey are doing, glad they are watching you closely. Yes, you are in pretty good shape as far as gestational age. Hopefully you can get a few more weeks in!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby crocusgirl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 04:39 pm

by crocusgirl (26 Posts), Tue Jun 26, 2012 04:39 pm

I agree with the poster just above me - get the steroid shots. Better safe than sorry.
Severe PE/HELLP - diagnosed 31 weeks, Violet born 32 weeks - April 23, 2010 - 2.5 lb (IUGR). 5 weeks in NICU, home and going strong.
crocusgirl

Postby mllewellyn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 05:39 am

by mllewellyn (61 Posts), Wed Jun 27, 2012 05:39 am

I asked for the shots and was told that unless I went into L&D, I wouldnot get them now that I have made it to 34 weeks. When I argued, they said my insurance will also not pay for them because it is customary to let the baby alone after 34 weeks. I told them, I will pay for them. Still not much luck.
I did talk to my mother about all of this because she is a nurse, but also because she has access to docs who can give me advice. They said simialr things. One of the asked my mom how much did I weigh when I was born and when she told them, they said, "Oh, she was really small too? It's genetics." We passed our BPP on Monday (8/8) so as long as Gabriel stays in there and he is doing well, I guess i'll leave the issue for now. THANKS for the responses.
M
mllewellyn

Postby nov_mum » Sat Jun 30, 2012 06:40 am

by nov_mum (130 Posts), Sat Jun 30, 2012 06:40 am

My first pregnancy they gave me steroid injections at 34 weeks, my second they didn't bother and I got to 38 weeks yipee! Third time around,, BP was up at 22 weeks and was on twice weekly monitoring, they told me that any time close to 34 weeks there is little to be gained according to current thinking. Every time is a different Dr with a different idea! This time around I am hoping for 38 weeks but realistically, if I get passed 35 I am home and hosed!
nov_mum

Return to Pregnant Again?