AFI measurements

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

AFI measurements

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Jun 22, 2012 00:46 am

Hi Ladies,

Really needing ya to walk me down from the ledge. With our daughter's birthday approaching and reliving all the lead up of bad events to her that day I know I'm on edge and clearly out of brain cells since I didn't even think to ask about this while right there at the doctor. Serious pregnant brain.

We're 34 weeks. At our 32 week u/s our AFI was 26, so in the poly range. At 33 it was 20, so I was super happy. Today, at 34 weeks it's 14.. which I know is still plenty of swimming pool... at the same time the progression as me a lil' concerned. I know a lot can change with positioning, who is measuring and just baby growing three weeks... so a drop each week could be explained by those factors alone right? My BP is definitely creeping cruising in the 140s/70s and even 80s (my baseline diastolic is in the 50s/low 60s) with spikes into the 150s. All labs good, last 24 hour holding steady at 460 and I'll start our next one tomorrow. My next NST/AFI measurement is Monday.

So, I can explain this all away just by all that normal afi is subjective based on a lot of different things right?
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: AFI measurements

Postby mllewellyn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 06:06 am

The tech told me yhesterday that when the baby drinks in AF then there is less. SHe said his kidneys were full so he has some of the AF. Also, position, who is measuring, all the things you mentioned. Mine is up and down every week. It is so frustrating, I know. But, your number is GREAT! I know they are probably keeping a close eye on you and hopefully will be able to catch a more serious drop. Good luck!
M
mllewellyn

Postby angieb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 08:15 am

Yep. With DS there was one day when I had two biophysical profiles a few hours apart. (He had had a very bad NST with several nasty decelerations, then failed a biophysical profile, so they sent me to the hospital. Once there he was perfect on the monitors, but they sent me for another biophysical profile before releasing me.) Between the two different places, two different techs, different position of baby, etc. the number changed significantly. Like from 22 to 14 or something, in the matter of a couple hours. He passed the biophysical profile that time easily so they weren't worried. (DS is currently terrorizing my dog, doing just fine.)

I also wanted to add that it stayed around the 14ish-16ish range for the rest of the pregnancy.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:53 am

Thank you so much mommas! Just what I needed to hear to keep me from worrying about it this weekend. It's so tough when four years ago every piece of news with our pregnancy was bad and to detach those feelings from this one. I won't allow myself to worry this weekend, like you both said, it can change so frequently and AngieB that's crazy it changing in just a matter of hours. At the same time I'll feel super relieved when Monday's measurement comes back the same or higher, no more dips down! I think 14 is a very comfortable lil' pool for this lil' one. :)

Thank you again! So thankful for your words!
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Jun 25, 2012 07:41 pm

Right back up to 20, protein dropped a bit, and while my BP still is stinky, baby is handling everything great! I'm so relieved. 35 weeks tomorrow, and already 1.5cm dialated, so hopefully our eviction (induction) at 37 weeks will be a smooth one... and oh please please please a mag sulfate free one!

Feeling very good about taking out annual birthday trip for our daughter the next few days knowing that everything was steady and even better than steady at today's appointment. I think our lil' angel was watching out for us.

Thank you again for keeping me stress free with your words of encouragement! :)

Lauren
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 pm

35 weeks is really great! DS was a 36 weeker with no NICU time at all, they've never even considered him a preemie (he was also 7.4 lbs.)

Glad your fluid is back up and protein down! Hang in there!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Return to Pregnant Again?