Should I be worried about these symptoms?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Should I be worried about these symptoms?

Postby liathano » Sat Jun 23, 2012 02:36 am

I've had mild hypertension and I do 24 hr urine tests (I just did one but probably wont hear about the results until Monday), but I'm feeling worse almost. I don't know how to explain it. I've had a mild migraine that varies in intensity for most of this last week, which is sort of normal because it's not the first time this pregnancy that it has happened. It's aggravating but such is life. I've also had strange sort of chest pain, like it hurts in the center of my chest and even hurts to just breathe but it comes and goes, it's not a constant pain either. Then today I had pain in my lower back, it sort of matched my pulse (at the time it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest, but I had just walked up the stairs and sometimes that makes my pulse shoot up). It pulsated and hurt quite a bit but again it went away. I had it again later without the excessive heart beat but the pain doesn't last long. The best way I can think to describe it is like when you feel like you really need to pop your lower back, so you stand by a wall and twist to pop it and it feels better. It's a lot like that pain. Also I've had morning sickness the whole time this is true, but its always been nausea and I could almost always keep it from vomiting. I can't anymore. I am puking 3-4 nights a week and not like I puke once and done, I'm at the toilet a good 20 minutes emptying my stomach. I've had period like cramps most days and I seem to have diarrhea off and on.
The worst though happened again tonight as well. I got this severe tightening across my abdomen. I don't know if it was a contraction or not, but my doc seems to feel they are just BH and I get really painful ones. This time I just had the one and it did seem a bit different. I was already rather nauseous to begin with but when this hit I thought I was just going to start vomiting everywhere. The pain was intense and I was very unhappy. As it released the severe nausea stayed and I started to feel woozy like I was going to pass out. It went away but still has me worried. Baby is doing fine though, she's still moving around quite a bit, and when this was happening she was also quite active. I feel like when I tell my doctor these things she blows them off and says I'm fine. Yes I am doing another 24 hr urine, and yes I'm on sort of bed rest, but she never seems willing to address my concerns. I know pregnancy isn't all rainbows and unicorns but I'm starting to feel like this ridiculous and not normal. I shouldn't feel this crappy all the time. Oh at the time of the incident I took my BP and it was 159/98, but I was just in a bunch of pain so I don't know whether it matters. My BP last few days has been around 140/80 so I thought maybe I was doing ok :/ I'm not sure about any of this, it seems to me that if it was Pre-e related it would be constant pains, not ones that come and go as they please.
liathano

Re: Should I be worried about these symptoms?

Postby angieb » Sat Jun 23, 2012 09:03 am

Your pains and nausea concern me. Has your doctor done any bloodwork? (Checking liver enzymes and platelet levels, specifically.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby liathano » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:15 am

No blood work like that has been done since early May when I first when in with high BP and those labs came out fine.
liathano

Postby alviarin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:56 am

I would be worried too with those symptoms. With both pre-e & HELLP symptoms can be intermittent for a time.

What has your doctor said about the pain and vomiting? Have they given you any guidelines or BP cutoffs on what pressures or symptoms warrant a phone call or a trip to L&D?

Vomiting in late pregnancy always concerns me, in your shoes I would want some blood drawn today to check for HELLP syndrome.

Please keep us posted as you are able.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby liathano » Sat Jun 23, 2012 03:01 pm

The pain she attributed to Braxton Hicks, and when I say I get the chest pain and can't breath so well she says to take my inhaler (but it's not asthma I know the difference). If my BP goes to or above 160/110 then I'm supposed to go in or if I have a headache that wont go away with tylenol then go in. Again the issue with the headache is I get migraines and have this whole pregnancy as well, not really a symptom I can go by :/ If I have another episode like that though I will just go in, even if the pain and stuff is gone when I get there at least it will be recent enough that maybe they can still tell me something.
liathano

Postby sam10 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 03:10 pm

I agree with what has been said. Additionally, are you being seen by a peri or MFM (high-risk OB)? Unfortunately, symptoms do not need to be consistent, nor present in a specific sequence, nor all be present. Will be thinking of you.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby meghanjs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 am

I think that her blood pressure cut-off is a little high and I think that you are right to be concerned about how you are feeling. Remember that it always your perogative to seek out a second opinion or to be checked on L&D.
meghanjs

Return to Ask the Experienced