high BP + proteinurea but no pre-eclampsia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

high BP + proteinurea but no pre-eclampsia?

Postby kat82 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 06:23 pm

I've seen posts on other forums where women say that they have or had high blood pressure plus protein in their urine but it turned out not to be PE...or that they already know they have high BP plus protein and they're currently being tested for PE.

This confuses me. I thought the diagnostic criteria for PE simply were high blood pressure plus protein? Can anyone clarify? If there is some other criterion, what other interpretations might there be for high BP and protein?

Apologies if this is a dumb question.
First pregnancy, due September 2012. Chronic hypertension, no signs of PE yet...fingers crossed!
kat82

Re: high BP + proteinurea but no pre-eclampsia?

Postby alexis » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:03 pm

My only thought is that they don't meet the specific criteria of 140/90 and 300mg. Other than that, I'm not sure what criteria their doctors could be using.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:16 am

It's interesting you asked this question, because I meet diagnostic criteria (BP 140s and protein above 300), and earlier this week at my OB appointment my doctor said, I don't have pre-e (before was told yes, super-imposed when we first crossed the >300 protein level since I had early hypertension)... which took me a back, but like most stuff in the doctor's office I only processed it as I was leaving. I'm not terribly worried about the label since my treatment and monitoring are the same no matter what they call it)

I am very curious to hear from others with more experience about meeting diagnostic, but because of all underlying conditions (spilling protein and hypertension previous to 20 weeks). Is it the same etiology as someone without pre-exsisting conditions or is it different? Such a curious and complex disease!!
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 06:08 pm

There may be a couple of different diseases that present under the umbrella "preeclampsia", we think - but they all get treated the same way and they all have the same diagnostic threshold. It's just that some of them move faster and require delivery more quickly.

Superimposed preeclampsia can move really, really fast when it's superimposed on chronic hypertension. That one tends to scare docs. But when it's superimposed on type II diabetes it can crawl along with a little proteinuria and hypertension around 140/90 for weeks.

One of these days we'll work out a better understanding of how the placenta is altering our ability to tolerate it, and then it will be more obvious what's going on here!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced