Preeclampsia Diagnosis

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Preeclampsia Diagnosis

Postby mllewellyn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 03:03 pm

So, we have been managing hypertension since 25 weeks with bedrest and aldomet (I am maxed on it at this point). I have not had protein in the urine or any other health issues. Yetserday, I had a blinding headache and higher BPs at the office but fine at home. The doc ordered PIH panel which came back within normal range and a 24 hour uring collection. I have received the results as 308...pre-e diagnosis. However, my BPs all day have been excellent (115-125/70s). So, they are letting me continue bedrest at home unless I develop other symptoms (headache comes back, epigastric pain, visual stuff, or BP goes over 140/90). Would I be considered mild or severe pre-e? I would like to stay at home for the weekend, it is my DHs birthday. I developed HELLP very quickly in my 1st (stillborn at 24 weeks) and had PIH with my second. Just worried, as you know, I will be 35 weeks on Sunday. I think that's ok for him even though he is small for his age (19th percentile at 2 weeks ago). Thoughts?
mllewellyn

Re: Preeclampsia Diagnosis

Postby lotsamom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 08:00 pm

I don't know for sure but my guess is that you are closer to the mild than severe spectrum. If you were severe and they are decent Dr's you'd be in the hospital right now. I know how scary and stressful it is. :/ My last two babies were born at 35 and 37 weeks due to preeclampsia. My 35 weeker was exactly 35 weeks on the dot. She did pretty darn good. She was not breathing on her own right away but she didn't need anything other than a c-pap for a while in the NICU. She was in the NICU for 5 days. It was not fun having her there and it made it harder being still sick and recovering myself. But all things considered she did really well and has had no further health complications from it at all.

How far along where you when you had your child that you had PIH with?
lotsamom

Postby sam10 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:05 pm

I can't recall the criteria for mild vs. severe PE, but as you have experienced yourself, PE/HELLP can move quickly. It can go from mild to severe very quickly. How have you been over the weekend? Have your symptoms changed?
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby mllewellyn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 06:14 am

I live in Virginia and we had a wicked storm which knocked out our power on the hottest day of the year. Thankfully, my mother still had power so we stayed with her. I did have a headache on Saturday and Sunday as well as high BPs on Sunday. When I called the doctor on call, he sent me to the hospital. They put me on NST and blood pressure cuff. My BPs were about the same as the office and he thought I was managing my care jsut as well as at home and probably more relaxed at home. He sent me home with a 24 hour urine and said we'll do the urine and PIH panel weekly until I deliver. He said I had mild pre-e at this point. So, it's the waiting game. Thanks for asking.
mllewellyn

Postby kbielec » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:04 am

Hang in there, rest and drink a lot...it's so hot ( I too am in VA). Take care of you and baby! Hope your 24 hour goes well.
Mom to Annabelle born at 26 weeks due to HELLP (2008) I found out I had Factor V and MTHFR after delivery.
(12/2011) miscarriage, twin boys 8 weeks, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
(02/2012) Pregnant - praying for beautiful take home baby due Nov. 3, 2012, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
kbielec

Return to Pregnant Again?