Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Uterine Blood Flow Information

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Uterine Blood Flow Information

Postby mrsgladden » Mon Jul 02, 2012 02:48 pm

by mrsgladden (5 Posts), Mon Jul 02, 2012 02:48 pm

Hi ladies!
We just had our 19 week, 4 day ultrasound. The MFM saw notching on the left side at our 13 week ultrasound, but not the right. She said it was nothing to worry about and to continue with my daily baby aspirin. The blood test results from the 16 week AFP test came back normal, so I was hopeful I had less to worry about. My BPs have been perfect-low, and I feel great. At the 19 week ultrasound today, the MFM finished the ultrasound and said "okay, everything looks good, baby looks healthy and is measuring great, placenta looks good, see you in 4 weeks." When I asked about the notching, the MFM said I had notching today on both sides. She said not to worry and that there was nothing I could do, and she'll see me back in 4 weeks. So naturally, I'm a little worried. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to be trusting and not worry, but after my experience with my previous pregnancy, I want to be as informed as possible about what this means. My MFM still put my risk of developing PE at 25%. When I tried to ask her specific questions about the notching, she just said not to worry (which of course only makes me worry more bc/ I felt like she wasn't giving me the information I needed). I would love to read any research available on this if anyone knows of anything relevant.
Also, my husband and I discussed seeing another MFM Dr. in the practice. I just felt put off today by the way she just told me not to worry instead of answering my questions about what was going on in my body and what it means. But maybe this is how all MFM Dr.s practice?
Thanks for your time and input!
HELLP survivor, our sweet son born 5-2-2009 at 36 weeks, 4 lbs. 14 oz. (7 days NICU stay)
Baby Boy #2 on the way, due November 22, 2012, baby asprin and MFM visits
mrsgladden

Re: Uterine Blood Flow Information

Postby Petunia » Mon Jul 02, 2012 03:06 pm

by Petunia (60 Posts), Mon Jul 02, 2012 03:06 pm

I'm not an expert by any stretch...but I can just tell you what I was told by my MFM. First off, in regards to the notching, he said that using that as a predictor of pre-e risk is most accurate after 20 weeks, so it seems maybe a bit early to be doing that anyways? I only had one uterine doppler study done and it was not until 22 weeks because of this. So that's the only info I can give you there, is maybe it's not a big deal because it's really too early anyways... although I'm not sure why she would do it then?

As far as the way she's answering your questions, I'm sorry, that would REALLY bother me. While I understand that our doctors do not want to add stress to an already stressful pregnancy, keeping you in the dark is certainly not the answer. My MFM tells me everything, he told me I had marginal cord insertion even though there's nothing to do about it and it's not a big deal... but he specifically told me because he said he wants to be completely open with us. I would certainly try to speaking with her again and let her know that "don't worry about it" isn't an acceptable answer. It's your pregnancy and in order to be a good partner for you she needs to talk to you. If it's really nothing to worry about, then have her explain why. Or why do the test if the results don't really matter? If you don't get more straightforward answers from her I'd consider seeing another doctor like you mentioned. I know for me it would just add stress if I felt like my doctors were hiding anything from me. I hope she's right though, I hope it's nothing!
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Jul 02, 2012 03:34 pm

by MomTimesThree (559 Posts), Mon Jul 02, 2012 03:34 pm

I also don't have experience with the notching, but "don't worry", ugh. That's like telling someone who is crying to stop crying- rarely helps! I would ask her specifically (or change doctors), tell me why this isn't a worry. Like the previous poster I always appreciate doctors who give me all the information so that I can decide on my own not to worry instead of just putting trust in them. And sure enough, when I understand why they're not worried, I'm not worried! But just being told "don't worry", oy, I'd be so frustrated... and of course, worried, even if there really wasn't anything to worry about.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby aajatwins » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 pm

by aajatwins (476 Posts), Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 pm

I would have hoped that your doctor would have more to say than that. Some doctors just don't like to give too much info on the chance of causing more worry. But as you've said, it can have the opposite effect! On the other hand, I have heard ladies on here say that notching was seen at one ultrasound and then not again at the next. I honestly don't know what it is an indicator of, though. Hopefully, someone else can chime in with more info on this for you.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 pm

I had notching in my 2nd pregnancy, no preeclampsia at all. My MFM is so underwhelmed by any indication that it means anything, we aren't even doing a doppler study this time (which is fine with me, last time it just stressed me out for no reason.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby mrsgladden » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:39 am

by mrsgladden (5 Posts), Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks for all the help and input!
HELLP survivor, our sweet son born 5-2-2009 at 36 weeks, 4 lbs. 14 oz. (7 days NICU stay)
Baby Boy #2 on the way, due November 22, 2012, baby asprin and MFM visits
mrsgladden

Return to Pregnant Again?