Post Reply FAQ Members Login

To TTC or not to TTC?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

To TTC or not to TTC?

Postby cgoodi1 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 02:19 pm

So I've got some news! I met with my MFM on the 18th of June and she said that when the protein in my urine is within the normal range I can try again. I had done a test around June 3rd which showed that I had 440mg proteinuria. She said it could take anywhere from 3-6 more months but she said the longest she would make me wait would be six more months. She said she doesn't have to see me again until I am 8 weeks pregnant.

I went today to see my internal medicine doctor who deals with the protein in my urine. I did a test on June 25th to test for orthostatic proteinuria which is a benign disease. I ended up having it. It means I spill protein when I stand, sit, etc but when I lie down or am sleeping I don't spill very much at all. My urine sample from the morning showed that I had spilled 230 mg and my night sample showed 30mg. Therefore my night sample is great (well below the normal 150mg range) however my morning one is a bit higher but the doctor said it's great. He's meeting with me again in November for a retest to make sure everything has stayed the same.

Here's my question. My numbers are normal for people with orthostatic proteinuria and this is a benign disease (meaning it doesn't cause kidney problems or any other problems). I want to TTC now since the doctor said I could when my levels are normal, however I am also hesitant since I spill protein during the day. What do you think I should do? The MFM said I could when the levels are normal and now that I found out I have this I know my morning levels will probably never be normal. Should I begin to try? My cycles returned back to normal right after I gave birth and my pressures are normal at home, however in the doctor's office they do go up. Please let me know what you think!
Stillbirth - 21 weeks gestation due to severe preeclampsia, HELLP and IUGR - 15/02/12
Baby girl Aria - Induced due to high blood pressure at 36 weeks + 2 days - 7lbs 3oz - 05/03/13
cgoodi1

Re: To TTC or not to TTC?

Postby sam10 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 03:13 pm

I would inform your MFM about the findings and that you'll always have proteine in your urine. With this information she will be able to assess your health/medical situation from a different angle and perhaps this means you can TTC sooner. I just think it might be important information to share with your MFM.
I am just the kind of person who always follows doctors recommendations and would feel uncomfortable without them knowing all about me and my health. Good luck :D
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia