Unable to decide

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Unable to decide

Postby jennthom » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Hello -
I had PE develop rapidly at 7 months and I delivered my baby boy at 30 weeks. That was almost 3 years ago and since I'm 37 and the clock is ticking, I cannot decide whether to go for another. Health, of course, is a big factor and also finances since I'm single. My son also has some preemie sensory issues and we're dealing with that. So many considerations but it's crazy making weighing the pros and cons. I understand I would be monitored from the beginning, use a high risk doc from the get go and keep tabs differently this time around. Can't figure out how to decide! Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
jennthom
Registered User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 07:07 pm

Re: Unable to decide

Postby midwestmom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 08:08 am

Hello! I wish I had a bunch of wisdom to pass-on, I'm writing to say that I am in a very similar situation to you. I delivered with severe pre-E at 29.5wks almost 3 yrs ago, am 37, and feeling the urgency to have another bc of my age. I definitely want another child, and actually had a consultation with my MFM last year about what it would involve, my chances of recurrence, etc. I've put on a couple of pounds since the pregnancy which concerns me, but not the MFM. My plans to ttc were halted last year due to some OTHER family health issues, but now I'm back and wanting to give it a shot. I meet with the MFM this Friday actually, and will be posting about how that goes.

Deciding to try again is such a difficult situation, I guess the only wisdom I can impart is to definitely have an MFM consultation to answer any questions you have. There are many postings here about questions to ask your MFM during a consultation. Here's one thread:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... +questions

I hope this helped a little, best of luck to you on this IMPOSSIBLE decision! Let us know what your thoughts are as you move forward and how things go. :) Lauren
Lauren
Son born by emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia in August 2009. Born 29wks2days weighing 3lbs, he is a healthy toddler now.
midwestmom
Registered User
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 04:28 am

Re: Unable to decide

Postby tree » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:29 pm

It is a really tough decision, and most of us really struggle with it. I cannot decide whether or not to try again. I always hope for this magical moment when the answer will just become clear, but I don't think it is going to happen.
I agree with Lauren's suggestion to have a consult with an MFM or high risk OB. Those consults can be difficult to schedule, so it make sense to go in there prepared. We all have pretty different risk profiles, and your doctor can help you understand what your risks really are. Your risks can be very different from the general population (for better or worse) if you have underlying conditions or other issues. Other than your doctor's input, it depends on you and your family. We are here for any questions that come up or venting that you need to do.
Lauren - good luck with your MFM consult! I hope you get some good news.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 01:55 pm


Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron