Post Reply FAQ Members Login

My first post...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

My first post...

Postby maamaa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:12 pm

by maamaa (1 Posts), Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:12 pm

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this site for a while but this is the first time I am posting. I have really appreciated reading everyone's posts and stories. They have helped me a lot during my current pregnancy. By way of background, in my last pregnancy, I went in for a routine OB appointment at 24 weeks and that was the first time I heard of preeclampsia. (Guess I was pretty clueless.) I lasted 3 more weeks before the doctors decided my condition was severe enough that I needed to deliver right away. My son was born at 27.5 wks via c-section and was just over 2lbs. He stayed in the NICU for 10 weeks. The whole experience and my recovery after was just awful and I really wasn't sure if I wanted to risk getting pregnant again. My blood pressure also never went back to normal so I now have chronic hypertension.

Fast forward a few years and I am pregnant with a little girl. I was pretty anxious and worried at first but finally started to relax with this pregnancy after the 27 week mark, since I was initially most anxious about developing PE even earlier than last time. I am now at 32 weeks and things have actually been going well so far. I have been taking labetalol, folic acid and LDA since becoming pregnant. My BPs have been pretty stable, especially in the 2nd trimester. However, this week (at 32 weeks), I've started getting some higher readings (130/80s) and a few have creeped into the 140/90 territory. So far no protein in urine and no other symptoms, although I have noticed some swelling in my feet recently but that might be a normal pregnancy thing? My doctors are aware of my situation and I am going in for weekly NSTs/fetal monitoring and am confident that I am getting good care. However, I'm just so disappointed that this may be happening again. Right now, I have a scheduled c-section in mid-August (at 38 wks) and was really hoping to make it until then. Of course, I am extremely grateful to have made it this far already, but I really was hoping for an uneventful pregnancy this time around, given that it will most likely be my last time getting pregnant. I also want my daughter to be healthy and chubby from day 1.

If anyone has any advice or words of support, I'd really appreciate it. Just feeling a little down and anxious right now...

Thanks,
Vivi
2007 - Miscarriage at 14 wks
2008 - Son born at 27wks due to severe PE
2012 - Baby girl due in late August.
maamaa

Re: My first post...

Postby mommy2marley » Tue Jul 03, 2012 05:50 pm

by mommy2marley (16 Posts), Tue Jul 03, 2012 05:50 pm

Vivi,

I wish I had words of advice, but I will be thinking about you and your little girl in hopes you make it until your scheduled c-section.
Amanda
Marley, born 36 weeks 5 days, 10/14/2005
mommy2marley

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue Jul 03, 2012 08:31 pm

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Tue Jul 03, 2012 08:31 pm

I totally understand the disappointment that comes along with realizing things might not go as smoothly as you'd like. This is also our last pregnancy and I've been feeling very defeated that I couldn't do it right. Momma's here have reminded me, and I'm sure they will you too, that it's not our fault. Even when things are getting bumpy we can still rock our pregnancies by following all our treatment plans and doing our best.

I'll be crossing crossables that your BP stop rising and you cruise along to your scheduled c/s!

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 08:57 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Tue Jul 03, 2012 08:57 pm

Welcome to the boards and congratulations to making it to 32 weeks without any issues. A subsequent pregnancy is no walk in the park and we all hope to sail through it without having to deal with PE at all. The reality is nobody knows and/or can predict if PE will hit again or not. As many have said before me, it is one day at a time, one moment to the next. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that your will make it to 38 weeks without any major complications.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby wooleybear » Mon Jul 09, 2012 09:14 pm

by wooleybear (44 Posts), Mon Jul 09, 2012 09:14 pm

Thinking of you at this time! From your post it sounds like you will be ok, have faith and keep your head up! :P
wooleybear

Postby momo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 04:07 am

by momo (9 Posts), Tue Jul 10, 2012 04:07 am

Hi maamaa

just thought I'd write in to say that I'm in a similar situation to you. My first baby came at 31 weeks when HELLP set in suddenly and with this baby they noticed that the blood flow to my arteries wasn't good so they were on the lookout for some sort of trouble again. All has gone well until last week (31 weeks) when my blood pressure decided that 160 /110 would be a fun place to be and they put me on labetalol. This worked great for three days but blood pressure has now started to rise again. Like you I don't currently have protein in my urine or bad swelling so I'm still optimistic that I might make it to a good due date (real due date 5th Sept). Will be keeping fingers crossed for you too - let me know how you're getting on...
momo

Return to Pregnant Again?