28 weeks - question about recurrence!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

28 weeks - question about recurrence!

Postby cranberries » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Hello,

Quick question. In 2008 my daughter was born at 32 wks at just over 3 lbs. I had pre-e, then delivery, then severe post-partum HELLP (platelets below 19k) requiring 5 days hospitalization. That's the condensed version.

I had considerable swelling by 28 weeks during that pregnancy. Also, flying stars occasionally and bruises that showed up out of nowhere.

I am now in my 28th week of my second pregnancy. Blood pressure usually in the 98/65ish area, no swelling, no bruising, no protein in urine. Seeing stars about twice a weeks. But ob says everything looks great.

So now that you have background, I am wondering this - do I still need to worry about getting pre-e or HELLP again? Can it just come on all of the sudden now that I have made it past the gestational age of symptoms in my last preg (if that makes sense)? Can it just come on all of the sudden?

I felt like last time I had symptoms that were ignored. And I am being followed closely now. Is it too soon to let down my guard? Can it come on suddenly?

Thank you for your opinions ladies!
cranberries

Re: 28 weeks - question about recurrence!

Postby lotsamom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 04:52 pm

I'm sorry but I do think you do need to still be on guard for symptoms because, yes, it can come on suddenly at any time. A second pregnancy won't necessarily follow the same pattern of a previous pregnancy for good or bad. But it's great you are being followed closely. That's really important.

I know it's hard to not be a wreck waiting for the ball to fall. My last pregnancy was sooo much better than the one before that where I was hospitalized at 31 weeks before induction at 35. I still had problems. But not near as bad as before. And as the gestational weeks passed in which I didn't develop the symptoms I did in my previous pregnancy it was very reassuring. Enjoy feeling good right now! Just keep your eyes open.
lotsamom

Postby alviarin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 am

Yes unfortunately it is important to remain vigilant. You still have a higher than normal chance that pre-e or HELLP will re-occur: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... f=19&t=331

That being said, you definitely have a chance that it won't re-appear at all, so here's hoping for a boring uneventful pregnancy!

How often are your appointments now?
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby cranberries » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Thank you ladies. Sorry for the late reply. Lost my password and had to find it.

My blood pressure has gone from steady 90s/60s to consistent 110-114/70s for the least week. I'm having a little swelling in the hands, feet and eyelids but nothing that is noticeable to anyone else. But the itching tells me more is coming.

Trying not to be paranoid but getting slightly worried. Doc is not worried about my bp because it is "normal", but it concerns me because it is higher than normal for me personally.
cranberries

Postby blythe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 09:45 pm

Are you seeing an MFM this pregnancy? I always feel a little better when the MFMs are relaxed.

In your shoes I'd talk to your doc about their criteria to call them (bp #s, symptoms, etc) and when to go directly to L&D - remind them of your low baseline.

As always, watch all your signs and symptoms http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-info ... d-symptoms and especially watch for headache that doesn't go away with tylenol, URQ pain, visual disturbances, and decreased baby movement.

These subsequent pregnancies are nail-biters, sometimes I wish we could just spend our whole pregnancies in the hospital!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Postby alviarin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:37 am

The only thing I can add is since you are noticing some changes (increase in BP & swelling) you could always ask your doc about a 24 hour urine test.

If your protein level comes back normal, good news for now. If it is elevated it might be another reason for the doc to watch you more closely.
& baby Annabelle
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby cranberries » Thu Jul 19, 2012 02:56 pm

I had some very uncomfortable back pain so they ran a HELLP panel last week to be safe. My ast and alt are low, but they are saying everything looks ok.

No additional swelling at all and the initial itching that came with the swelling is gone now.

My bp is irratic. Yesterday I had a low of 92/58 and a high of 118/74. Seems weird but still in normal range.

I am so paranoid that this is all going to happen again that it makes it practically impossible not to stress and worry over every symptom every day. It is constantly stressful. And of course there is the added worry that I will appear to be a hypochondriac. *sigh*
cranberries

Postby cranberries » Fri Jul 20, 2012 01:08 pm

Today I was at a store with a blood pressure machine, so I sat for a little while and took mine. It read 130/77. I sat for another 10-15 minutes and took it several more times. the only change was that my last reading was 130/78.

When I got home, I took it again on my machine. 92/70. My readings have been variable for the last 3 or 4 days but never spike as high as the 130 reading.

I already called my OB and left a msg, as I feel like these are drastically different readings. Maybe my machine is low and the store one is high? I don't know what to think.

If you can help ease my mind or you can offer suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thank you.
cranberries

Postby alviarin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 02:47 pm

Those store machines aren't always accurate, since who knows when the last time it was checked and calibrated.

That being said, since you aren't sure which reading to trust (or both!) I would also want to get a third opinion or reading. Last pregnancy my old OB thought I was a worry-wart but let me come in to the office whenever I wanted to get a BP check and urine dip, maybe since I only had to see her assistant for that. Even though BPs recorded on my home monitor were consistent with what they were getting in office.

Something you could always do at your next appointment is bring in your home monitor to compare to their in-office BP reading to check for consistency. My current OB actually encourages that practice.
& baby Annabelle
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced