Post Reply FAQ Members Login

high uterine artery resistance 21 weeks

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

high uterine artery resistance 21 weeks

Postby jules2 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 01:01 pm

by jules2 (514 Posts), Sat Jul 07, 2012 01:01 pm

Hi,

Am pregnant again. Probably totally crazy at my age and with my risks but bit too late for that now! I have not been posting up till now hoping all might be ok like last time.

But yesterday (at 20+6 gestation) had scan demonstrating left uterine artery doppler resistance index above 95% centile. But no notch (what exactly is the difference? Physics not my strong point....) Right artery was normal. They will repeat at 24 weeks. Obviously I am now very worried especially about early onset PE. Otherwise baby looked good, very active, great size, and all ok for now.

Anyone know just how "accurate" this is as a predictive tests for pre-eclampsia? Sensitivity, positive predictive values etc? Or if not even any positive stories about still reaching near or full term after such a result would cheer me up a bit! [negative stories ok too - I am realistic about the risks].

And its another girl. I am somehow doubly emotional about this after losing my first daughter. History repeating itself and all that.

Thanks all

J
May 2009 - Alice stillborn at 26 weeks due to severe PE and HELLP post-partum

2 early miscarriages

And then 4th pregnancy baby girl due 29th December 2010! Born safely after totally normal pregnancy on 17th December.
jules2

Re: high uterine artery resistance 21 weeks

Postby midwestmom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 04:18 pm

by midwestmom (74 Posts), Sat Jul 07, 2012 04:18 pm

Hello! I can't give you any positive predictive values or scientific data, but I can tell you that my MFM has very little faith in results of uterine dopplers. He told me that there are so many false positives (results indicating uterine flow problems when there aren't any) that he sometimes doesn't even do them - he finds the studies are more stressful for patients than helpful to the management of many of his patients.
That's my anecdotal information about uterine doppler test, I hope that you have a problem-free pregnancy! Lauren
Lauren
Son born by emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia in August 2009. Born 29wks2days weighing 3lbs, he is a healthy toddler now.
midwestmom

Postby angieb » Sat Jul 07, 2012 04:47 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Sat Jul 07, 2012 04:47 pm

I am glad that things seem to be going well with you except for this little blip! (Sorry I am really horrible about emailing.)

With Lucas, I did have notching on one of the blood flow/doppler studies. I don't really know how that compares to the resistance numbers and such, but I never did end up getting sick (and it really stressed me out.) My MFM is so unconvinced of any connection, we aren't even doing a bloodflow study this time (and that's fine with me, the last thing I need to do is stress about something that may not mean anything as it did the last time.) I am glad the baby is measuring on track and everything else is going well, try to focus on that.

And congrats on another girl! I am having another boy!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby jules2 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 02:34 am

by jules2 (514 Posts), Sun Jul 08, 2012 02:34 am

Thanks to both of you. I had totally normal artery dopplers in my last pregnancy so of course am more worried now. Yes, it is a stressful test.

Guess I just have to wait till 24 weeks and hope its no worse by then.

Angie - congrats on your boy x

2 early miscarriages

And then 4th pregnancy baby girl due 29th December 2010! Born safely after totally normal pregnancy on 17th December.
jules2

Postby caryn » Sun Jul 08, 2012 04:09 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Sun Jul 08, 2012 04:09 pm

It is rotten at prediction. It's strongly correlated to preterm delivery, but placentas do "outgrow" the resistance as well. Sadly it is just a wait and see thing, which is nailbiting.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby jules2 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 06:43 am

by jules2 (514 Posts), Mon Jul 09, 2012 06:43 am

Thanks, yes its nailbiting. I guess I'll have to see if its worse / better / same at 24 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if I either developed early PE and had to deliver next week or if I made it to term with no problems....

2 early miscarriages

jules2

Postby kbielec » Tue Jul 10, 2012 09:44 am

by kbielec (254 Posts), Tue Jul 10, 2012 09:44 am

At 19 .5 weeks I had dopplers done, MFM said right and left artery looked good and the cord flow was "not what they wanted it to be" 2 weeks later came back for another look and "all the flow looked surprisingly good"...not sure what changed in 2 weeks but baby had grown 4 oz (although she's on the small side, she's still growing). I am going back tomorrow and I am 23.5 weeks we'll see how it looks, hoping baby girl is a pound and the dopplers read good - you are exactly right though - it's STRESSFUL and scary! And I have come to dread the ultra sounds. Hang in there...
Mom to Annabelle born at 26 weeks due to HELLP (2008) I found out I had Factor V and MTHFR after delivery.
(12/2011) miscarriage, twin boys 8 weeks, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
(02/2012) Pregnant - praying for beautiful take home baby due Nov. 3, 2012, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
kbielec

Return to Pregnant Again?