Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Myoclonus

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Myoclonus

Postby corinne_sweden » Wed Jul 11, 2012 02:57 am

Hi,

I write concerning the subject of "muscle jerking" at night.

I am on atenolol 100 mg per day, in my week 38. So far, BP is well controlled and low protein in urine (I live in Sweden and here, they do not do the 24 hour urine test, only sticks...I asked).

When I started with atenolol week 33, the next day I started experience those muscle twitch. It is only at night, just when I am about to fall asleep. This makes it really difficult to fall asleep. They disappeared after a few nights and the doctor was not at all worried...he thought it was the medication. He refused to check for clonus.

But it started again the past nights, with no other symptoms. I do not know what to do, they will not act if my BP is stabilized...I tried to talk about induction, but they do not do it if the baby is fine and my BP is maintained. I am in an university hospital supposed to be the leading one in Sweden on preeclampsia (in Lund). They seems to be so much less proactive than you are in the US...

What would you recommend? It is so hard to argue with supposed experts who make everything not alarming at all...

Thanks for your help,

Corinne
corinne_sweden

Re: Myoclonus

Postby alviarin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:37 am

Sorry to hear you have been having some unusual symptoms. Is the twitching listed as a side affect of the BP med you are on? (since the twitching started at the same time and doc doesn't sound worried). My mom gets twitches like that when her thyroid levels are low. I'm not a doc and this is reaching but since beta blockers can be used to treat hyperthyroidism by blocking conversion of thyroid hormone to the active form maybe that could be playing into things?

Though I'm not sure why they didn't check your reflexes, even if it was just for your peace of mind.

How often are your appointments now? Are you monitoring your blood pressure at home?
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced