First trimester ultrasound = high risk?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

First trimester ultrasound = high risk?

Postby OnceDoce » Mon May 21, 2012 09:27 am

Hi all,

I'm new here and have a few questions for you experts. :)

I had my 12-week ultrasound last week and the report says my uterine arteries have high pulsatility index (mean PI = 2.59).

In the meeting I had after the scan, the doc said this value puts me at high risk for early preeclampsia, despite everything else being normal (baby, placenta, umbilical cord all normal, BP 120/75, BMI 21).

Has anyone else here had a similar experience at your first trimester scan?

This is my first pregnancy, and I have a meeting with my midwife to talk about this result and our gameplan. Do you have any insights/advice for what I should bring up with her?

Many thanks.
xo
OnceDoce

Re: First trimester ultrasound = high risk?

Postby blythe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 00:15 am

I'm so sorry we missed your post! I was just cleaning up old links and found your post tonight. My understanding is that the uterine artery "stuff" isn't a strong predictor, but can get your docs to watch you more closely in the absence of any other concerns. How are you doing now?
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Return to Ask the Experienced