What was your experience on labetalol?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

What was your experience on labetalol?

Postby growlie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 05:28 am

I apologize in advance for this being a cross-post with my PIH saga post that is much longer. I thought that more people might see/respond to this than a question buried in my original post.

I got on some BP meds last night after my BP's had been staying around the 160s over 100-110s. I don't know the dose but he said he was starting it at a low dose. After an hour, my BP dropped from 165/100 to 132 over 72. I was not feeling good. Everything was shaking/jittery, even my lips! They made me drink juice and milk and eat peanut butter and crackers and that sort of helped.

Are you supposed to eat with this stuff when you take it? I asked the nurses but they said no. Does my body just have to get used to it?

But, I slept until 6 am when they checked me again and it was up again to 160 something over 105. I am due for another dose of BP medicine at 8 am. I know I just started it...does it eventually work for the full 12 hrs?

Dr said it would take a day or two to really start working...is that what he means? That it will eventually cover me for 12 hrs? Thanks for your advice and insight.
growlie

Re: What was your experience on labetalol?

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Jul 15, 2012 06:45 am

I was wondering if and when they'd put you on meds. I credit it with keeping us cooking for as long as we did. The first few days on it I did kinda feel junk as I adjusted to having lower pressures... and I did always make sure I had a full tummy when I took it. I noticed that it didn't last 12 hours for me after awhile (started working, then I think I out grew my dosage). We had talked about maybe doing 3x a day, but I was stable enough that we made it through with our 2x. I'm glad you're being so closely monitored and I'm sure they'll make adjustments as needed. I'm crossin' crossables you make your 37 week goal!! :)
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby hillary8l8 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:08 am

My Labetalol never lasts the full 12 hours. When they raised my dose from 100 mg 2x a day to 200mg, I felt really cruddy for about 4 hours after I would take it (shaky, dizzy), and then my blood pressures would go back up after about 6 hours. I did finally adjust to the symptoms, but it still does not last 12 hours. They took me off of work not long after this, and this dropped my pressures even more, so we are doing okay on the Labetalol 2x a day for now. Hope this helps.
Miscarriage at 8 weeks- 5/09
Abby born 37 weeks 4 days on 3/25/10 due to PIH and IUGR- 5 lbs 0.5 oz
Chemical Pregnancy lost at 5.5 weeks- 3/11
Pregnant again due Sept. 3 (now chronic hypertensive and on Labetalol)
hillary8l8

Postby kat82 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 am

I was told (and I think I have read this online too) that it should be taken consistently either with food or without, as long as it's the same every time. I take it with food because it's easier to remember plus then I can take it with my other supplements.

I've been taking 100 x2 since before I was pregnant. It works fine for me. Haven't noticed any side effects and so far it has seemed to control my BP very well, after the first few days (it did take about 3 days for it to drop to where it ended up stabilizing). That said, people often seem to be surprised that I haven't had side effects with it, so my sense is that it is common for it to make people feel a little crummy. I hope you feel better soon.
First pregnancy, due September 2012. Chronic hypertension, no signs of PE yet...fingers crossed!
kat82

Postby blythe » Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:54 pm

I'll be the odd one out and add that I was given labetalol 3x day.

I also like this link from our Ask the Experts archives
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... ive#p58207
I hope that in your case controlling your bp can help you stay pregnant a little longer, but as this expert says, treating bp doesn't keep you from developing PE or superimposed PE, so they'll still be watching you very closely.

I'm sorry the meds are making you so miserable!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Postby lotsamom » Tue Jul 17, 2012 01:55 pm

I definitely felt yuck for a while after starting labetalol. I had to adjust to the funny feeling of my BP dropping. But it also made my head feel weird and tingly as well. I did eventually adjust to it.
lotsamom

Postby veronica44 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 02:55 am

This will sound funny, but I love labetalol!

I am on 100 mg twice a day and it takes my BP down from 165/110 to 120/70. I have no side effects with the medication, and it controlled my BP well while pregnant. Also - when my BP got high but before I went on meds, I was a very anxious person. Panic attacks etc. Ever since I started labetalol the anxiety has disappeared. Everyone says I seem calmer, and it is wonderful. The anxiety is gone, but I don't feel tired or sleepy from the meds. I hope I can stay on this medication as long as possible, it has really helped me.
veronica44

Postby littlebbigb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 07:19 pm

Hi! I thought I was the only one feeling cruddy on Labetelol. My dose has been increased to 200mg BID recently and I have been feeling terrible! I felt pretty bad when they first put me on the 100mg BID but started to feel better after 6 weeks. I wasn't sure if it was because I got used to the drug or because my bp started to creep up again.
littlebbigb

Postby nov_mum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 03:58 am

Hi there

I was put on labetalol in three previous pregnancies and just started last week in this one. In the past I found it lasted for around 2 weeks then the dose needed increasing and I also found I got better control on three times a day dosing. This time I am on BD doses and it seems to be doing well. I wonder if it is because I am on to it early (I'm 18 weeks tomorrow). I have never had side effects except for the tingly scalp before but this time around I have headaches and feel a bit out of it. Good luck!
nov_mum

Postby Raposa » Wed Aug 22, 2012 06:02 am

I'm up to 300 mg 3x a day now. I've noticed that every time they adjust my dose, I feel really cruddy for 2-3 days as my body adjusts. Dizzy, unfocused, with some fatigue on top.
1st son, induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e, born 6/18/10.
2nd son, c-section at 37 weeks due to hypertension, born 1/15/13.
Raposa

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced