Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Baby Due in March 2013

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Re: Baby Due in March 2013

Postby cgoodi1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:43 am

by cgoodi1 (72 Posts), Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:43 am

I just got a positive on a test this morning. It was rather faint but a positive just the same. If the results are correct I'd be due April 5th although the doctors said they would induce me at 38 weeks so a March baby as well. I'm praying this time we get to bring home a little one. I'll keep you in my prayers!
Stillbirth - 21 weeks gestation due to severe preeclampsia, HELLP and IUGR - 15/02/12
Baby girl Aria - Induced due to high blood pressure at 36 weeks + 2 days - 7lbs 3oz - 05/03/13
cgoodi1

Postby Raposa » Wed Aug 01, 2012 09:26 am

by Raposa (85 Posts), Wed Aug 01, 2012 09:26 am

I'm due in February, though I'll be thrilled just to make it to 37 weeks, which would be a January baby. So I'm a little ahead of you, but in the same boat!

How do you like your doctors?
1st son, induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e, born 6/18/10.
2nd son, c-section at 37 weeks due to hypertension, born 1/15/13.
Raposa

Postby Shawndee » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 am

by Shawndee (1 Posts), Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 am

Ladies,
I'm in the same boat! I'm due in March. I'm 37 and this is my second pregnancy. With my first my bp started creeping up at around 22 weeks along with major swelling in my feet. At 37 weeks I got a severe headache and the doctor just put me on bed rest and I was monitoring bp at home. My bp got up to 170/92 and they finally admitted me at 38.5 weeks. I had no protein in my urine just a bad headache and high bp. My doctor was sooooooo laid back about it he didn't put me on mag. I ended up having an eclamptic seizure. Luckily I was able to give birth to a healthy boy. I still have some memory problems but I'm thankful we are both here and ok.

So, with that said I am very anxious with this pregnancy!!! I have moved so I will be seeing a new doctor in a few weeks and I will not allow any symptoms to be minimized this time. Does anyone have advice in that area? I just learned about MFMs through is site so does my obgyn need to refer me or how does that work? Are there specific tests I need to ask for? I've already ordered a bp monitor for home and protein strips just in case.

Also, anyone else feeling scared? I'm overweight still and after reading that pre-e could be an indicator for future heart disease I'm wondering if I should have gotten pregnant at all. Have any of you seen a cardiologist? I have a family history of heart disease so I'd like to get it all checked out.

Sigh. I'm not supposed to be stressing this much already right?? Lol I just want to prevent and control as much as I can.
Shawndee

Postby cgoodi1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 am

by cgoodi1 (72 Posts), Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 am

I'm only 5 weeks and stressing already! I have orthostatic proteinuria which means I already spill when I'm up moving around or sitting but I don't spill protein when I sleep. Already knowing I have some proteinuria makes me worries. My last pregnancy my pregnancy symptoms showed themselves so early and in this pregnancy I don't have any. It makes me worried. I constantly think about losing this little one and I'm praying so much it doesn't happen. I have an appointment Aug 29th to start heparin shots and I'm starting lda this Friday. I had pe and hellp symptoms around 18 weeks and swelling even earlier. I'm praying I don't have to go through it all again!
Stillbirth - 21 weeks gestation due to severe preeclampsia, HELLP and IUGR - 15/02/12
Baby girl Aria - Induced due to high blood pressure at 36 weeks + 2 days - 7lbs 3oz - 05/03/13
cgoodi1

Postby lei.in.the.sky » Tue Aug 07, 2012 00:33 am

by lei.in.the.sky (15 Posts), Tue Aug 07, 2012 00:33 am

Hi cgoodi1,

sorry to hear you have to begin worrying so early on. Is there anything you can do to counteract the protein spilling? are you expected to have bedrest? I hope you make it to all the necessary milestones in order to have the baby.
I was curious about when you feel your symptoms begun in your last pregnancy (and what these were). I begun swelling on my feet probably right at 14 weeks, and by week 20 was wearing slippers 2 sizes bigger. I also had shortness of breath by week 14, but all these were just regarded as "normal signs of pregnancy" (unfortunately).

thinking of you
lei.in.the.sky

Postby knhowell » Mon Aug 13, 2012 00:03 am

by knhowell (12 Posts), Mon Aug 13, 2012 00:03 am

Wow, I am excited that so many others are due to the same time I am and I will keep all fingers and toes crossed that we can all make it to full term without any excitement. Boring pregnancies all around I say.

I have read many different theories on supplements to take to help reduce the likelihood of repeat PE however my OB today said the only proven theories that cannot hurt are taking Calcium tablets and a low dose aspirin so I am now to take those daily with a good multivitamin.
She also ordered a huge list of blood tests (13 viles of blood) to check that I do not have any long term side effects from my last experience of PE and to also get a base line reading for all future results.

She was an amazing help to talk to and making me so relaxed my anxiety didn't affect my blood pressure and I had a reading of 115 /70. She also did a quick ultrasound but the bub was moving too much to even get a photo for measurements.

I have my 12 week ultrasound in 2 weeks (they wanted me to be 12+ weeks) and another appointment on the 17th September.

I am glad I made the decision to go to a bigger hospital now because they seem to be more cautious and know the severity of PE.

I know they say PE doesn't generally occur in the second pregnancy but I have read too many stories to think otherwise... and as this pregnancy progresses I think I will stress more and more (not good I know).

I would love to keep in touch with everyones progress and hopefully celebrate a lot of births in February and March next year x
knhowell

Postby cgoodi1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 08:56 am

by cgoodi1 (72 Posts), Mon Aug 13, 2012 08:56 am

Hi again. I'm not sure if I will be on bedrest or not. I guess they're going to wait until I'm a bit farther along and see how my tests go. At my appointment at 4 weeks one of my doctors said she's hoping I get to stay at work for at least half of the pregnancy. I hope I can hold out as long as possible. With my last pregnancy, it was rough from the very beginning. I began gaining weight rapidly right at the beginning and it was certainly not due to overeating since I was so nauseous. By week 10 I was 20lbs heavier and at week 21 40lbs heavier. I remember at Christmas mom got me new shoes and by January they no longer fit! My swelling was horrible. At my 18 week ultrasouns the baby was measuring two weeks behind and I was questioned about my conception date with the doctors asking me if I was sure about when I conceived. We had only tried that once so I definitely was positive! Around week 17-18 I would wake up at night with bad pains in my upper chest. I thought I was dying and it was bad enough to bring me to tears. My doctor ignored all of the signs, I'm guessing because it was my first pregnancy (maybe she thought I was a complainer) or because I was so early in my pregnancy (pe usually only occurs after week 20 and usually in the third trimester). Either way I know the difference now. With the weight gain she told me to watch out with the sweets, for the baby measuring behind she said she'd request the ultrasound from the hospital and have a look herself (don't know if this happened) and for the pain she prescribed me heartburn meds which of course didn't work. I actually google diagnosed myself with preeclampsia and went to the hospital where I was admitted right away. Pretty sad. This time around I am monitoring myself very closely. I take my blood pressure every so often now and have a really god sense of my normal pressures. I'm presently taking materna, extra folic acid, calcium, vitamin D and started lda at 6 weeks (2 days ago). I go back for an appointment at 8 and 1/2 weeks and will start low dose heparin then. The placental pathology showed that the placenta was much more mature than it should have been with many areas of calcification (which happens a lot in the case of pe). This is why the baby was probably smaller and were not getting the nutrients and oxygen needed. My doctors said even though I have no clotting disorders that I'm a good candidate for lda and heparin because new studies are showing that not only does the heparin help with clots but it also helps veins and arteries to expand and not be as constricted. I'm really trusting my new doctors and doing whatever they think is best. I'm very hopeful that this time around will be different for me. I very much want to bring a baby home for me and my husband to care for :)
cgoodi1

Postby lita24 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 09:48 am

by lita24 (2 Posts), Mon Aug 13, 2012 09:48 am

Congrats everyone!

I too am pregnant with my second after having severe preeclampsia with my first. I have not yet had my first doctor's appointment, but my EDD is 4-13-12. I am looking forward to keeping in touch.

Be encouraged and try not to stress/worry!! Trust me, I know how hard this can be.
Baby #1 born at 30 weeks, weighed 2 lb 11 oz. due to severe preeclampsia, classic C-section, I had pulmonary edema. He spent 52 days in the NICU, he is now healthy & full of energy!!!
Baby #2 due 4/13/13.
lita24

Postby Raposa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 am

by Raposa (85 Posts), Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 am

I'm glad you've got doctors who are really alert and you like. That's so important!

I have my monthly MFM appointment Wednesday. Going to take in the home BP monitor to be recalibrated if they can. The thing can't measure me properly, so I haven't been using it. It's frustrating because I'd like to be able to spot check myself for those times when I feel weird, to see if it's blood pressure or just tired/migraine/low blood sugar, y'know?
1st son, induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e, born 6/18/10.
2nd son, c-section at 37 weeks due to hypertension, born 1/15/13.
Raposa

Postby knhowell » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:05 pm

by knhowell (12 Posts), Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Raposa you reminded me, I was going to ask my OB if I should have a blood pressure machine at home to check it... I will have to ask at my 15 week check up. I think I would become BP happy and start taking it all the time :-)

lita24 Congratulations on being pregnant - how exciting.

cgoodi1 i had a similar situation to you, I felt off since 23 weeks and called the hospital with my systems all they said was just mention them to my OB when I saw him next. I did tell him during my visit, gave him all the standard symptoms he just told me the flu was going around and I was possibly coming down with that. At 27 weeks my mum had enough of me looking so sick and feeling worse she took me to the chemist where my blood pressure was 180 /120. I scared the chemists, they did it 5 times with 2 machines and 3 different people because they couldnt believe it - told me to go straight to hospital. When I called the hospital to say I was coming in they just said why would I make a decision to go get my blood pressure taken without their or my OB's recommendation and that I was being over cautious but if I felt like I needed the reassurance then just come on in...
within the hour I was having steroid injections and being prepared for an ambulance trip to a bigger hospital.
I think we know our bodies better then anyone else - they should listen to us
knhowell

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnant Again?