by amberstrika (31 Posts), Tue Aug 07, 2012 03:53 am
It's true about lying being a veeeeery sketchy, unethical thing to do. It was a very bad thing to do, but the right choice for me. As many of us know, there are TONS of occasions in which we are not taken seriously and things take a turn for the worse. I believe with all my heart that I avoided HELLP a second time by checking myself in to the hospital. They would never have gone ahead and given me a c-section the next if my lab work had not come back as being dangerous. However, without me saying that I was having text book symptoms no one seemed to be willing to make the final call. I did what I felt was best for myself and my baby. After the fact, my OB agreed. My favorite OB, the one who did the section, but NOT the one who decided to push it back, looked over my chart and was upset that the decision had been made by her colleague to push me back. With having had severe Preeclampsia, HELLP, pulmonary edema, pneumonia all at once with my first baby, in addition to the over 2000 level protein readings I currently had, coupled with BP that was quite high, there was no reason that I should have ever been sent home with instructions to wait it out.
I suppose my personal advice would be to not lie, but make sure you do whatever you need to do to make sure your symptoms and health are taken very seriously. If you don't feel comfortable waiting, you do what you need to do to be taken seriously. There are women here on the boards who have been neglected and ended up having eclamptic seizures are organ failure that could have been prevented. Doing what I did my baby was safely delivered, I was immediately given a mag drip and monitored closely. The difference between this last pregnancy's outcome and my first was night and day. This time I didn't have to miss my baby's first month of life spending it in intensive care.