scared

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

scared

Postby kristine68 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:08 am

Just found out we are pregnant again .. Going to be 44 in a week. I want to be happy but I keep thinking please let this pregnancy be normal. Had my daughter in 09 was 9 Weeks early I had pre eclampsia and hellp. I dont want the nicu exp again I am blessed that she is almost 3 and perfectly fine has anyone else felt like this? My husband is so happy I want to be too but im 3 years older....
kristine68

Re: scared

Postby sam10 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 01:22 pm

Congratulations! Happy to hear the good news. :D

I am currently pregnant myself and had severe PE last time around, and all I can say that this pregnancy is NOT a pleasure cruise and it is hard not be scared. PE leaves most of us traumatized and we lose our "happy-cookie-cutter-ah-I-am-pregnant" feeling and all that comes with it. We need to work harder to enjoy a pregnancy, and on some days it is just impossible. But I take one day at a time, and I remind myself that fear is "only" a feeling that has it's beginning, middle and end. I try to focus on the good moment, when I am relaxed and are successful to keep the anxiety at bay.

It helps me to see a therapist who accompanies me through this pregnancy. Also, I am exclusively seen by an MFM and his team. The staff is trained to calm high-risk ladies down, and they are doing a pretty good job:-)

Welcome to the "pregnant-again" group and I will keep my fingers crossed for an uneventful ride! And let us know if you have any questions. We are here and try to answer as best as we can
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Aug 16, 2012 06:12 pm

Congrats!! It's so normal to feel scared. I'm sure the majority of us here are. Just take it day by day, week by week, milestone by milestone. God bless!
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby nikkib » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 am

Hello:

I think I maybe pregnant again but too scard to take the test. I so want this baby, but afraid to go back to that dark place. I told my hubby this morning but he had nothing to say and my family was aganst me trying again even though the doctors said it was ok.

In May 2011 on mother's day I was told I had Preeclampsia and that my life was in grave danger because they couldn't control my blood presure. I was 24 weeks along but my son had only grew to about 22. I was told they would have to induce me, and that the chances of his surviving were slim to none. After about 4 hours of labour, my son Francis was born alive but died two hours afterwards. I was in the hospital only two days after, then release in the afternoon but re-admitted that same night because I had HELLP syndrome. I was in the hospital for another week.

Where do I go from here, who do I talk too?
nikkib

Postby sam10 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 01:29 pm

I know it is very scary, since nobody knows if PE will come back in a subsequent pregnancy. The first thing I would do, well, is take a test. Then (regardless of whether you are pregnant or not), is to find an MFM/peri you trust and have a consultation and discuss your chances of developing PE again and/or what your treatment plan would/will look like. Many of us are on LDA and higher doses of calcium or Vit.D. But these should only be taken upon your doctors orders. Good luck and let us know the results of your test :)
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby olivejuice0806 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 09:54 pm

It's understandable to be scared, but just look at the signatures of so many of the ladies on this forum who went on to have normal pregnancies. That being said, I had a normal pregnancy after HELLP, and now that I am pregnant again, guess what, I'm scared! I'm almost 31 weeks, and my house is already ready for a baby. Everyone I know doesn't even start to think about getting ready for baby until now. It's important to have people around you who know what you are going through.
Shanda (38)
Baby #1 PE 11/3/1993 39 weeks 7lbs. 4oz.
Baby #2 Severe PE/HELLP 9/21/1999 31 weeks 4lbs. 2oz
Baby #3 Mild PE 6/1/2007 39 weeks 7lbs. 1oz.
Baby #4 PE 10/31/2012 37 weeks 6lbs. 11 oz.
Miscarriage 5/2010
Miscarriage 10/2011
olivejuice0806

Return to Pregnant Again?