Migraine!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Migraine!

Postby Raposa » Mon Aug 06, 2012 07:14 am

So, I had one of the worst migraines of my life yesterday. Not pain-wise.. that went away with my normal coping methods (mostly lying down with a wet washcloth over my eyes). No, instead the migraine aggravated my stomach so badly that nothing stayed down, even water. Ended up throwing up 5 times. Called the OB, who suggested benedryl to help, which was a new one on me. It worked to get my stomach settled down so I could at least take my labetalol that evening, and I zonked right out, which probably helped, too.

So.. if you're in the high risk pool for pre-eclampsia (as most of us are), and you also suffer migraines, how much do you worry about the migraines while pregnant? So many of the symptoms are similar. How do you tell if it's "just" a migraine, or if it's a sign of worse things? Goodness knows, it's hard to keep a clear head when in the middle of one.

I can blame this migraine on work stress, at least. I was very stressed on Friday. Might have to have a nice talk with my doctors next appointment. I paid for short-term disability in my benefits.. I might need it to get through this pregnancy.
1st son, induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e, born 6/18/10.
2nd son, c-section at 37 weeks due to hypertension, born 1/15/13.
Raposa

Re: Migraine!

Postby sam10 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 am

Headaches are common pregnancy symptoms, so my doctor always says to try Tylenol and if the headache does not go away to call/come in. For us PE ladies even doctors are very careful when being confronted with migraine like headaches that are severe, because it could be either a nasty migraine or a PE symptom. So, if in doubt ALWAYS call you your doc and if needed get checked out, so they can run labs and check you thoroughly.
Hope you are feeling better today! How is your BP?
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Raposa » Tue Aug 07, 2012 09:57 am

Blood pressure's where it was before; high side of normal. It was a little up the next morning, but that's probably because I threw up a couple of hours after taking one of my labetalol pills, and could taste how incompletely digested it was. *yuck*

Doing better today. Postdrome wasn't fun, but was normal; tylenol knocked out the lingering pain and the brain fog cleared up around noon. A nice, warm shower took care of the lingering head and neck symptoms.

I plan to mention the episode when at my next appointment with the MFM docs, though. I'm not wild about taking meds to control migraines, since they're so infrequent when I'm pregnant, but I might need to discuss stress levels since that's what kicked this one off.
Raposa

Postby alviarin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 am

My GP always wants to know if I have a migraine that doesn't respond to medication. Even when I'm not pregnant.

Stress (& lack of sleep) can be a migraine trigger for me. I've had to take narcotics and even steroids to break a migraine when pregnant before. The pain from a migraine can raise my BP a little, but I would still call the doc if my BP went up to my "call-in" numbers.

My OB also wants to know if I can't hold anything down, since dehydration isn't good in pregnancy either. So I'm glad you called the doc and they were able to suggest a med that helped.

It is hard to think clearly when you have a migraine, so I hope you are able to to discuss the situation at your next doctors appointment and go over what steps you should take ahead of time in case you get another one. Here's hoping they are few and far between though!
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby Raposa » Mon Aug 13, 2012 01:36 pm

Lying down with a cold washcloth over my eyes always works on the pain, at least. Worked this time, too. It's just I've never had nausea like that with a migraine. Always before, if I did actually throw up, it happened once and then I felt better overall and could just rest the rest of the evening. So, it freaked me out a little bit. I'm very glad the Benedryl helped my stomach to settle down.

All my symptoms this pregnancy are different from the last. In a way, that's reassuring, but it's also very aggravating. I have no idea what to expect anymore. :P
Raposa

Postby alexis » Mon Aug 13, 2012 03:55 pm

I just report it. I also have migraines, they never respond to Tylenol (NSAIDs help if I get them down when the aura hits). I use my BP as more of a guide (if my systolic is over 160 or my diastolic over 105, I'm almost certain to have a dull throb).

I do know someone who had such bad migraines that her neurologist and MFM agreed to keep her on anticonvulsants in pregnancy--I believe Topamax--but her migraines are very severe (she was excluded from a migraine trial because she had too many).
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced