Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Wondering what my odds look like now...

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Wondering what my odds look like now...

Postby princesspurr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 08:36 pm

by princesspurr (39 Posts), Mon Aug 20, 2012 08:36 pm

I had my daughter at 26.5 weeks due to severe preeclampsia that started at 24.5 weeks. This was with I was 24 with my first husband. I now have a new husband... and am 33, have been diagnosed with chron's and still overweight (less then I was before) blood pressure is normally excellent to low (105/67 recently), I have a common gene mutation (can't remember the name, but the doc doesn't want me on birth control pills because of it and risk of clotting)... I'm wondering what kind of odds i have. Do I get thrown back in like it is a first time pregnancy since it has been soooo long or are my odds higher because I did have preeclampsia before. I have an appt with my OBGYN on the 20th of next month for an abnormal pap, so I'm going to ask her to give me the number for the peri doc again, and I'm going to make an appointment with him before any final decisions are made. I also need to talk to my gastro doc about meds that would be safe while trying. This all all assuming all is well with my next test for the abnormal pap. :-/ Would love for this to feel more like an exciting step in life, rather then an OMG I'm almost 34, this is super scare, and if I'm going to do it I better do it event.
Val (32) & Carlos (30)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
princesspurr

Re: Wondering what my odds look like now...

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Mon Aug 20, 2012 09:12 pm

by holly3372@msn.com (478 Posts), Mon Aug 20, 2012 09:12 pm

Hey you!!! Have been thinking of you! Ok so , I think it's great you are going to see the docs you need to see and hopefully get some questions answered. I too went to several docs, Ob's , MFM's, hematologists and every doc told me something differnt , had differnt opinions, told me different odds. One said " you know, if you were 25 and in perfect health with no history, I still coudn't tell you everything will be fine, truth is we never know with any any pregnancy, each is so different, so it's a roll of the dice!" Woah, how true! So here I am , remember you and I wanted to lose some weight before we tried again blah blah and that was I'd say over a year ago now? So, here I am 16 weeks pregnant, didn't lose a pound and I am now 40. I figured what the *, how long am I gonna wait in fear. I am still terrified and and I have no idea what lies ahead for me, but today I am here pregnant and hoping for the best. Whatever way you choose, I wish the same for you, the best. xo
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby princesspurr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 09:24 pm

by princesspurr (39 Posts), Mon Aug 20, 2012 09:24 pm

Yep, it has been about a year, and i'm like ya know, there are a lot of women a lot heavier then me that don't have a problem, so I cant just keep putting it off forever hoping to loss weight. What kind of seal it for me was my blood pressure not pregnant is great. So I'm really thinking my weight didn't have much to do with it. I actually lost weight last time. I lost weight and then something in life stresses me out and back on it goes. I have gained most of the weight I lost back after finding out I have chrons and that the healthier foods seem to aggravate it! Congrats on your new lil bundle!!!! Hope you have a nice LONG uneventful pregnancy :-) I'm guessing after I talk to the gastro doc, the OBGYN and the peri it will put me sometime in November, I just don't want to get pregnant June/julyish because I thinking having a similar due date would make me pretty crazy. Prefect would be pregnant in Feb due in Late October, avoid all major holidays since my lil girl was born on thanksgiving. But we know better then anyone that you just can't plan these things! I think if we do start trying i'm going to blog the whole experience. Does you doc have you doing anything special for this pregnancy? I'm excited for you :-)
Val (32) & Carlos (30)
Born at 26.5 weeks because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
princesspurr

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:17 am

by holly3372@msn.com (478 Posts), Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:17 am

Yes, I decided I was gonna try and "plan" so I wouldn't be pregnant at certain dates and times to avoid all the emotions. In the end though, it ends up the way it ends up. We literally had started talking about welll are we trying again or what?? We then became foster parents and I loved it! I thought ok, so if I never try again, I am finding such love and joy in theses kids maybe this is it for us? maybe we are meant to foster, possibly adopt eventually? Then BAM!! Omg, misssed period and pregnant!! Wasn't at all expecting it so fast, thought it'd take some time.

I of course am seeing a high risk Ob and an MFM. The difference mostly is ME. I am so on top of my own care now. Asking questions, insisting on things like a 24 hour urine baseline at 7 weeks. I just had growth scan at 16 weeks and all was great even my bp. I was surprised my bp was good I was so nervous and am overweight but it was 117/72. The MFM said he 'd see me in 6 weeks. SIX WEEKS!!?? I didn't like that at all but he says unless thers a change no need for another visit! Hmmm, not good enough for me! Anythinng can happen in 1 day let alone 6 weeks! So I informed him i will be monitoring my Bp at home daily and although he said I didn't need to, I insisted on another 24 hour urine test. I was told to take calcium and a baby aspirin daily throughout the pregnancy. I am also taking fish oil and my prenatals. I am swimming or walking daily, just to get out and move get the blood flowing. Nothing intense.

So, that's it for now. The hardest for me is around the corner, I had my son at 26 weeks. I try to take each day as it comes and hope and pray it is different this time, thats all I can do . Keep in touch let me know how it's going with you guys ok. Sending love!! xo
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

holly3372@msn.com

Postby princesspurr » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 am

by princesspurr (39 Posts), Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 am

6 weeks! OMG I think I would have slapped him and then stole an ultrasound machine LOL You would think they they would know it isn't so much of a need to be checked as it is a need to reassured everything is on the right tract. What I was told last time is I would be seeing the OBGYN once a month and the peri once a month, so I would be having appointments every two weeks. I'm fairly sure that is the only way I would stay sane. I'm right with you, I got to 26 weeks. I had an ultrasound at 21 weeks and she was great, by 24 weeks she was small! the peri that gave me a consult after I have veronica is still working, so I'm going to see if I can see him. I doubt after 8 years he will remember me, but he said that my case was one of his most shocking so maybe he will. I doubt he is going to say anything to put my mind at ease, and the whole second pregnancy thing doesn't even help me because it has been 8 years and i have a new hubby. With Veronica watching over me, I feel a little better.
I'm glad everything is going good for your so far! I know most women breath easy at 13 weeks, we are the unlucky ones that are going to hold our breath until 26 and then I don't know how we will feel. (((HUGS))) to you, and I know you are going to do wonderful with this pregnancy.
Val (32) & Carlos (30)
princesspurr

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Tue Aug 21, 2012 08:21 pm

by holly3372@msn.com (478 Posts), Tue Aug 21, 2012 08:21 pm

Aw thanks so much!! i am rooting for you guys! I remember your story well, I even remember your mother in laws comments blah!! I have that as well lol! I know 8 years seems so long ago but to me you are so very young still, look at me 40 yikes lol!!! Lots of Hughs and support back to you!! xo

holly3372@msn.com

Postby princesspurr » Tue Aug 21, 2012 09:51 pm

by princesspurr (39 Posts), Tue Aug 21, 2012 09:51 pm

Ugh, my mother in law... she is a special person sometimes LOL and she gets away with saying what ever she wants because she just says she doesn't speak english well (yea right!)
I keep trying to tell myself have babies later just runs in the fam. My mom had babies at 30,33, and 36. My grandmother had her oldest at 36... and I know people that have bad babies in there 40s! A lot of the people I went to highschool with are having there first babies, so I guess I'm not tooo behind. I have been reading a lot about vbac and I wonder if that is going to be possible for me. It has been 8 years, and she was tiny and breech. I guess they would need to do some kind of scan to see how my scar is. I know they said the outside is across but the inside is up and down... but if it is low enough from what I am reading maybe I could skip a csection... Ah yes, this is my main problem I skip steps when planning things. First I need to get through the test for the abnormal pap... and see the peri and talk to my gastro doc LOL
Val (32) & Carlos (30)
princesspurr

Postby flori » Wed Aug 22, 2012 04:10 am

by flori (225 Posts), Wed Aug 22, 2012 04:10 am

Val, im so glad youre back! I am right there with you on everything! Lets take each step one at a time, together.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 am

by holly3372@msn.com (478 Posts), Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 am

Yes one step at a time! i remeber with my 1st my biggest worry was a csection, I wanted no meds all natural at home waterbirth. Ha!! Man, did my every fear and then some come true!! Today I'm like csection? Ha! Bring ot on! If I get a healthy take home baby in the end ,it doesnt matter anymore to me how it comes out lol. Get your health and questions in order and take it from there. Oh reminder, I am 40 lol!!! You are at a great YOUNG age to try again!! :)

holly3372@msn.com

Postby princesspurr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 07:16 pm

by princesspurr (39 Posts), Wed Aug 22, 2012 07:16 pm

Thanks guys :-) Step one... I talked to my gastro doc and he says asprin is not the best idea with Chrons... and I was like well, if we do start trying you and the peri doc are going to have to have a friendly chat because almost everyone ends up on baby asprin round 2, and I will have to deal with a possible chrons flair if it means a healthy baby. So I see this is going to be complicated!!!
Val (32) & Carlos (30)
princesspurr

Next

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia