UTI Experiences?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

UTI Experiences?

Postby Petunia » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:04 am

This week is super hard for me, I'm right between my pre-e dx milestone and my loss milestone, I was really hoping the week would pass completely uneventfully.... but instead I have a UTI. My OB has put me on macrobid. I'm 32weeks and a few days right now, and the last time I was put on an rx while pregnant it was labetelol and my boy died a few days later. I know these are totally different things, my bp has been great, no swelling, baby boy is measuring nice and huge... but last night I was terrified. Spent most of the night doing kick counts, praying that my baby would be safe and tossing around. If you took macrobid in the 3rd tri and made it through an uneventful UTI please share your stories!
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Re: UTI Experiences?

Postby mychaelelaine » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:22 am

Not me but just wanted to send you a cyber hug and let you know you and baby will be in my thoughts and prayers.
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby angieb » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:58 am

With DS I started having crampy-contraction-like things at 31 weeks. They sent me in to the hospital and called it an "irritable uterus" and discovered I had a UTI. I can't remember exactly what med I was on but macrobid sounds really familiar so it was probably that...I remember researching it a lot and being nervous about taking it (I don't generally like taking new-to-me meds during pregnancy.) DS was born 5 weeks or so later, perfectly healthy. The UTI cleared up fairly easily and I didn't have any further problems with it or contractions.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby Petunia » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:18 am

Thank you angie! This is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping to get... it's so hard not to stress. I seriously won't take meds for anything unless they make me, makes me WAY too nervous!
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Postby angieb » Thu Aug 23, 2012 03:00 am

Petunia wrote:Thank you angie! This is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping to get... it's so hard not to stress. I seriously won't take meds for anything unless they make me, makes me WAY too nervous!

I understand! I definitely questioned my mfm about it extensively before I took it (the dr in l&d, who was not one of "my" doctors, prescribed it), and I read somewhere that it is not supposed to be taken within 2 to 4 weeks of delivery so I was nervous about that since I was about 32 weeks and we knew I was delivering at 36 weeks at the latest. (Just looked it up, and yes, it's definitely what they prescribed me.) Anyway, it didn't end up being an issue at all. An untreated UTI is more risky for you and the baby than the med, I felt like. But I know when you've had a loss, it's so hard to trust *anything.*
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby m » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:34 pm

During my second pregnancy I tested positive for UTI several times in a row, even after antibiotics, so I was just kept on antibiotics for the rest of my pregnancy. I believe that was from about 28 weeks until 36 weeks when I went into labor. I don't remember which antibiotic I was on, but it didn't seem to cause any problems. As angieb said, my doctor felt than an untreated infection was much more risky than the antibiotics. The way I see it is if I'm going to trust this doctor to perform a c-section on me, I'm going to trust her opinion on meds too. :>)
DS 2/5/09 - 2/13/09; severe PE at 28 weeks
DD March 2010; PIH, preterm labor at 36 weeks, 10 days NICU
m

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Sat Aug 25, 2012 01:52 pm

Well, here I am at 17 weeks and yep I have a UTI!! Didn't have one with my 1st pregnancy. So I am on antibiotics Microbid I believe it's called for 7 days now.
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Return to Pregnant Again?