New/Reply FAQ Members Login

How Does Bed Rest Work?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

How Does Bed Rest Work?

Postby littlebbigb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 04:09 pm

I was released from the hospital on bed rest at 31 weeks. They doubled my Labetelol to 200 mg bid and my bp seems to be pretty normal for the most part. Every now and then it will be 140ish over 80 ish...but for the most part it will be 120's over 70's. My swelling has gone down considerably. I have lost 4 lbs of water weight in the last week.

My mom and my grandmother both delivered all of their babies at least 6 weeks early due to Placental Abruption.

I had asked to be on bed rest because I felt so terrible and yet my MD was not 100% sold on taking me out of work for the two weeks until they were about to discharge me. I go for my follow up appointment tomorrow and I am afraid he will send me back. I do not have a desk job, so I cannot take it easy at work.

My question is: Will he send me back to work because I am doing better or will he keep me at home because I am doing better?

What is the point of keeping someone out for only two weeks? I am scared I will go into labor around the 34th week if I am not careful.
littlebbigb

Re: How Does Bed Rest Work?

Postby hillary8l8 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 06:24 pm

I have read a few articles that say that the benefit of bed rest has not been proven with preeclampsia, but obviously your case is a little more complicated with your strong family history of placental abruption. My OB was quick to take me off work at 29 weeks with both pregnancies, and I was on strict bed rest with my first. I do believe that bed rest benefited me with my first pregnancy. In my opinion, the improvement in your condition is relatively good proof that bed rest is a good option for you, but I'm obviously not a doctor:) It's amazing how doctors opinions differ so much.

Also, do you get short term disability from your employer? This may be something to discuss with your OB as well because if he takes you off work, puts you back on, and takes you off again, the disability company will not like this, plus there is typically a 2 week waiting period for benefits to start. This may give you a bit of an angle with your OB, if your employer offers short term disability.
Miscarriage at 8 weeks- 5/09
Abby born 37 weeks 4 days on 3/25/10 due to PIH and IUGR- 5 lbs 0.5 oz
Chemical Pregnancy lost at 5.5 weeks- 3/11
Pregnant again due Sept. 3 (now chronic hypertensive and on Labetalol)
hillary8l8

Postby littlebbigb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 06:42 pm

Thanks! No I did not opt for short term disability...that was a mistake, but we can get by without the percentage of my paycheck that they would have paid. I feel better than I have the whole pregnancy and the thought of going back and risking delivering early scares me.

I agree with you that it may not benefit everyone, but it seems to be doing my/our body good. I have been checking my bp pretty regularly because I know that bed rest hasn't been proven to be a cure-all.

When I do seem to push it by folding laundry I start sweating and feel really crappy.
littlebbigb

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:34 am

Listen to your body then, tell your doc you feel you cannot go back to work for all of the resons you are descirbing period end of story. Bed rest seems to be working, so stay in bed and take it easy .
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby littlebbigb » Thu Aug 30, 2012 02:29 pm

Thank you! I did just that and he said he agreed. I am so happy to be home and relaxed. Turns out my Grandmother, Aunt and my Mom had Placental Abruption. I am keeping off of my feet to prevent as much as possible.

Thank you for your advice.
littlebbigb

Postby caryn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 08:46 pm

Have they asked you to do kick counts? I can't remember the gestational age at which those are useful!

As you note, bedrest doesn't seem to prevent this condition from progressing in the background, even if it does sometimes seem to lower pressures for some women. Are you going in for a couple of sessions of monitoring a week?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby littlebbigb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 06:52 pm

caryn wrote:Have they asked you to do kick counts? I can't remember the gestational age at which those are useful!

As you note, bedrest doesn't seem to prevent this condition from progressing in the background, even if it does sometimes seem to lower pressures for some women. Are you going in for a couple of sessions of monitoring a week?

No, I am only going once a week. He is moving like crazy. I started the kick count without them telling me to. He is really active. Trust me, I am scared to death of all of this, so I freak out a little if I don't feel him for a while.

Things were getting better and then last night I developed ringing in the ears, my BP went up a little (150/90) and my hands were swollen. I haven't felt super wonderful today.
littlebbigb

Return to Ask the Experienced