Induction?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Induction?

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Aug 28, 2012 07:40 pm

Howdy everyone!! :)

My new MFM, impressed so far btw, said he would have me go to 40 weeks if there aren't any issues. I've been reading just now and see several ladies aren't going any further than 39 weeks. The birth plan with my previous hospital was 38 weeks. Would you be comfortable going full term?? I don't think I am.
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Re: Induction?

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue Aug 28, 2012 07:44 pm

Hrrrm.... I don't know... I've never made it to 37 weeks without issues, so I can't really speak to how I'd feel about it. I know I always wanted to go to 40 weeks. You might ask him what things he is seeing that is reassuring to him that you would be ok going to 40 weeks.. and I'm guessing he would be fine inducing earlier if things did look off... but maybe also asking what he would consider "issues".
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Aug 28, 2012 08:19 pm

I asked... He said if there was no pre-e, he wouldn't induce. But, he's assuming there will be. So, he's saying if my bp is normal and no protein or lower than 300, he won't induce.
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby sam10 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 09:02 pm

In the absence of PE, normal BP, no other issues during the duration of your pregnancy, and no previous c-section that would warrant a repeat c-section, I could see my MFM saying the same. If I would not be forced to get a RPC at 37 weeks after my classical from last time, my MFM let me go till 39 weeks, so he said if everything else was fine.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Aug 28, 2012 09:43 pm

Ok, thanks Sam!
mychaelelaine

Postby Bmoremama » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm a vbac hopeful with no plans to induce at all if I don't have pre-e. my midwives are fine with that. Of course, at this point, it's a pie-in-the-sky goal, but I'm 100% hoping/praying/wishing for spontaneous full-term labor.
Bmoremama

Postby mychaelelaine » Wed Aug 29, 2012 00:07 am

I don't know why, just makes me nervous! I think it's because of how rapidly pre-e progresses. I just don't want to take any chances. I've already lost a baby. Don't think I can handle it again so I'd just rather my MFM induces. I don't know. I'd like to hear the pros/cons of inducing.
mychaelelaine

Postby angieb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 08:28 am

I'm delivering no later than 36 or 37 weeks due to my classical c-section.

My friends who have had stillbirths (though theirs were both unexplained/unknown reasons), both delivered early because of their history of stillbirth. One had an amnio at almost 37 weeks but his lungs weren't ready yet and she was induced at 38 weeks, ended up having a c-section due to decelerations during contractions, baby was fine. My other friend was induced with just cervical ripening stuff and then went on to have a natural birth and had a healthy baby right at 39 weeks. (She was given the option to do an amnio and deliver at 37 weeks, and our MFM would have really preferred that.) Both of them also had twice weekly NST's with fluid checks and doctor's appointments from 32 weeks on.

I don't blame you for wanting to deliver earlier, (I have no desire to go a day longer than 37 weeks), I would remind them of your history of stillbirth as well and see if that makes a difference.

After my first pregnancy, with Luke, my MFM expected me to be on bedrest by 24-28 weeks. My OB's "goal" for my pregnancy was to get me to 28 weeks. They were both pretty shocked that I never got sick, even with gestational diabetes and notching and my blood pressure a little labile the last few weeks, no pre-e. You may surprise them.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby MomTimesThree » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:47 am

I think anything and everything is scary after loss- especially delivery when you've already had a traumatic birth on top of everything else. I understand wanting an induction. I didn't think I did at all- but then circumstances as they were it was what was going to happen. It wound up being the most peaceful and controlled birth possible, a 180 from our daughter's crazy, fast, unprepared birth. I think our 2nd's birth was one of the most healing things for me- and it was ok for our son who came out screaming and hasn't looked back since.

I was very let down that we had to be induced again with our 3rd and final, because as peaceful as his induction was I really wanted that normal "It's time" moment to happen not in a hospital attached to an IV already. And I definitely feel a lil' grief over it. Our third also wasn't ready to be evicted, and I think even had we been able to eek it out until 37 weeks probably still wouldn't have been ready to join the outside world.

It's complicated no matter what as is everything after loss it seems. I think a frank conversation with your MFM about the physical aspects of delivery as well as the emotional ones are a great first step.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby Petunia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:07 am

We will be inducing at just under 38 weeks if I have no problems and don't go into labor before then. My MFM wanted to induce between 36-37 originally, but with seeing how well things are going *knock on wood* we've pushed it back a bit. Nobody is comfortable going the full 40 though just because of my loss history. I would love to go into labor on my own, but it's certainly NOT a top priority. Maybe if I'm lucky enough to have another healthy pregnancy after this one, we'll let that one happen all on its own? Right now I just can't stomach the idea of going to 40+ with how stressed I am.
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?