Memory Loss

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Memory Loss

Postby LauraBeck12 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 02:20 am

I am a scientific mind.
I have been known for my excellent memory in the past.
Since my pre-e I have noticed that my memory is much much worse.

Anyone else experience this?
Is it the grief? or the pre-e? Or maybe neither or both?

I catch myself on these memory issues and i'm almost embarrassed at how bad it is!
Laura Beck, mother to Our most cherished Love - Our son- 8/1/11- 8/4/11
severe swelling and increased blood pressure started between 20-22 weeks. (ignored by medical professionals)
was finally clinically diagnosed with severe pre-e at 27 weeks.
spent 2 weeks in hospital.
He was born at 29 weeks, at exactly 2lbs. classical incision c-section.
He lived for 3 days in the NICU , autopsy said "lung failure" was cause of death.

http://clercbaby.blogspot.com/
LauraBeck12

Re: Memory Loss

Postby sam10 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 07:43 pm

I experienced difficulty concentrating (I was not as sharp anymore) and could not remember things as much. I think it had mostly to do with my grief, especially the first year after Henry passed. I started noticing to gain some of my mental strength again closer to the 2 year mark. How much that can be attributed to PE, I don't know. I do remember though that I filled out a questionnaire re: memory/brain and PE. Perhaps somebody else remembers it and can post the link. I could not find it.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby ktsl123 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 09:59 pm

I didn't have memory loss myself so not sure. I have friends that had babies and no PE and have mentioned that they felt like their brain cells were taken away when they had their babies. Maybe it's a thing with just having baby.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09
ktsl123

Postby caryn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 am

That was the PF's survey, Julija. Results here: http://preeclampsia.org/component/lyfte ... your-brain

There is clearly cognitive change in the mother following any birth. It's difficult to separate out what effects from preeclampsia there might be. A survey like this provides us with an excuse to do a more careful analysis, and there are people working on that.

Grief is also a definite confounder.

I haven't noticed any effect in my recall that I don't see mirrored in the rest of the women in my family who've had children - which is to say that now, I can run through three or four names of a thing or a person before hitting on the one I want, if there's a noisy background capturing some of my attention. And since, as a kid, I answered to "Laurie... Annie... Mickie... damnit... CARYN." I'm pretty sure that's not unique to preeclampsia.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:49 pm

I lost my brain when I was low thyroid. I went from feeling smart to feeling stupid. Pre-e may raise risk of developing a thyroid problem, so if you are concerned it couldn't hurt to get checked out.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced