Got my peri appointment....

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Got my peri appointment....

Postby princess purr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 04:41 pm

9/19... and my obgyn appointment for my abnormal pap is 9/20 so it should be an interesting week. Hoping I get good news from both of them. I'm assuming the peri is going to want to send me for some blood work since I haven't had an done to check my clotting in yearsssssss. Scared, the last time I saw this guy was around 6 weeks after I lost Veronica. I have a few questions like, are you associated with any other hospitals because I don't want to go to the one I lost her at... and what are my chances in his opinion, and how closely will I be monitored, what kind of measures can we take before hand, what can be expected during the pregnancy, if by some miracle I make it to 37 weeks are you going to make me wait to 39. Trying to think what else to ask?? Part of me thinks I won't even end up getting pregnant so there is nothing to actually worry about, the other part of me is like O-M-G what happens if it happens right away, I don't know if I'm actually ready to put myself through a high risk pregnancy... but I guess you are never really ready for that. Oh how I would love to just be blissfully unaware and assume everything will go pregnant and once I see two lines that means in 35 weeks a baby comes home :?
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Re: Got my peri appointment....

Postby flori » Thu Aug 30, 2012 07:03 pm

My first preconception appt with an MFM was very emotional for me, so emotional I cried. I also wish i could sail through the 35-36 weeks of pregnancy with no fears. I worry about not being able to get pregnant too, but the actual pregnancy itself terrifies me more.

You have good questions already! I would ask about working ft or pt, exercise, medications/supplements, will he be your primary doc or doesn he want to co-manage with an ob... Let me check my mfm thread out amd i will copy paste later (so hard to post with an ipad!)

if you get the green light are you planning to try again right away? We still want to get through the stress of the holidays first. Also, what are your feelings on weight loss now (ack!). If he suggests it, are you going to try? One mfm i saw said yes! Do it for overall pregnancy health but it might not affect pree/hellp and the other said it wont change anything. So confusing.

Caryn has also posted links and articles about how weight loss is the *only* factor that will lower your odds. :shock:
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Fri Aug 31, 2012 09:51 am

It's been 8 years my friend. The fears and pain of how we lost our babies don't go away we have just had to learn to live with them. So much will come up for you as you see these different doctors. I have also chosen to not go to the same hospital this time . You are doing great, just keep doing what you are doing. Get all the doc visits out of the way, all the tests done. One day at a time. I am thinking of you, you are not alone. xo
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby caryn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 03:23 pm

Well, it's the only one that's holding up in the data *so far* - and that doesn't mean much, because the studies are still in progress.

Low-dose aspirin (LDA) is sort of maybe helpful in some metaanalyses only (and NOT in the big randomized controlled trials!) but since it doesn't harm, it's recommended by WHO.

Weight loss between pregnancies seems to possibly lower rate of recurrent preeclampsia - with many, many caveats about whom that might apply to. There's some more discussion here: http://preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic ... 30&t=43916
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby princess purr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 05:39 pm

I would like to loss weight before I get pregnant, but I don't think I'm going to wait to try to until I loss weight, at this point I will be 34 in march, and my mom went through menopause at 36... so I kind of feel like the clock is ticking. I think if you have high blood pressure, then yes, of course it would be helpful to drop some pounds to get your blood pressure better under control, but my blood pressure normally isn't high, soooo I don't know. I am over weight, there is no doubt about that, but so many women that are much heavier then me do not have these problems, and there are some thin women that do so... I don't know. I mean there are other things that go with losing weight, like eating healthier means your are getting more vitimens, and exercising is a stress reducer, so I guess I plan to get "healthier" but i'm going to remove the I must weight 143 before I try from my brain. I'll start working out, and eating better and if the weight comes off great... but if I get pregnant 10 pounds down, I'm not going to beat myself up about it and keep on trying to live the healthier life style.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby flori » Sat Sep 01, 2012 05:35 pm

Haha, I have a magic number too. I should stop obsessing with it because even if I start seriously dieting RIGHT NOW I won't get close to it before the new year.

Here's to smarter choices and baby bumps in our futures.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby princess purr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 07:58 pm

Hoping it is easy for both of us this time! I will be beyond over joyed if I get to actually bring home a baby and me and him are both healthy. I'm convinced that if I do get pregnant it will be a boy this time LOL
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
princess purr

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia