Pre E 31 weeks with twins

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Pre E 31 weeks with twins

Postby Jillkbean » Thu Aug 30, 2012 05:59 pm

I was just diagnosed with Pre E at 31 weeks 2 days with twins. My BP is a little high, protein in urine is around 900 and output is low. What should I expect? I'm on hospital bed rest for the duration but feel like I'm waiting for the ball to drop. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Jillkbean

Re: Pre E 31 weeks with twins

Postby caryn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 08:35 pm

Welcome! And yes, you are indeed waiting for the ball to drop. This condition is a sign that your body and the placenta/s are not tolerating each other well, and when that turns into an outright biochemical fight, things get messy quick.

What will probably happen is that they'll try to manage your symptoms with blood pressure medication and close monitoring, to make sure you're able to safely stay pregnant and to make sure the kiddos are still getting good blood flow. You'll maybe get steroid shots to mature their lungs more quickly, depending on how quickly you're progressing. They'll draw bloodwork routinely to check your liver and kidney function, monitor your bp frequently, and use fetal monitoring to watch heart traces. BPPs/NSTs start to be performed regularly as well.

It's called "severe preeclampsia" once you start ringing in pressures above 160/100, or proteinuria above 5000 mg, or develop a severe headache, visual disturbances, kidney failure, elevated liver enzymes, or a host of other issues. At that point management becomes much more of an hour-to-hour thing.

Some women can crawl along for weeks with this condition; others have to deliver within hours. After 34 weeks they'd be much more likely to deliver you because at that point the vast majority of babies do very well indeed with easy NICU stays, but before that point they'll try to push things to gain extra days for gestational development.

We probably have at least a few other hospital bedresters around at any given time, though perhaps just lurking - I hope some will post shortly. Welcome again!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Welcome! Caryn covered everything so nicely I'll just add ask as many questions as you need to try and understand what is going on - of us, of the Dr's, of the nurses. If you wonder what they are watching for/waiting for - ask, not sure why they are doing labs again - ask, have a funny pain/feeling & wonder if it's important - ask. Knowing what is going on and why is calming/empowering - for me at least!

Hang in there!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby LBD30 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 08:34 am

I also had poor urine output at 34 weeks and within hours I had a c-section because of my kidneys starting to fail and pulmonary edema.Before this happened they put in a catherater to actually measure the output. They will def monitor you closely as things can change fast. Good Luck and I am glad you are being taken care of.
Lilah born 5/30/11 - emergency c-section at 33.5 weeks due to severe pre-e
LBD30

Return to Ask the Experienced