Accuracy of 24 hour urinalysis

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Accuracy of 24 hour urinalysis

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:29 am

Ok, so, I called today and was told my protein was 160. Last week it was 115 but I thought (and the Dr) that might be inaccurate because I didn't do it 100% accurately. It was 280 two weeks ago. Yes, I'm a ding bat. So, I asked if I could do it again. When I dropped it off Wednesday, the lab tech says "that's all?" I did it completely right this time... It was just a 1/4 to 1/3 full. Can the amount affect the accuracy?
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Re: Accuracy of 24 hour urinalysis

Postby LBD30 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 03:44 pm

Maybe your urine output is decreasing? That happened to me at 34 wks and I had to deliver because of decreased kidney function. Or maybe you just did not drink enough?
Lilah born 5/30/11 - emergency c-section at 33.5 weeks due to severe pre-e
LBD30

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Sep 04, 2012 03:48 pm

Good points but my question is... will low urine output affect the accuracy of the results?
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby caryn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 04:18 pm

24 hours are calculated in mg alone, with no deciliters in the accounting. It's just how many milligrams in 24 hours.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Sep 04, 2012 04:25 pm

caryn wrote:24 hours are calculated in mg alone, with no deciliters in the accounting. It's just how many milligrams in 24 hours.

Ok caryn, I'm having a slow pregnancy moment. . . is that a yes or no? Lol. I'm certain your response is basically saying no, low urine output won't affect the accuracy of the results but just want to make sure. You got just a little too high tech for me this late in the day after work. :)
mychaelelaine

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 09:26 am

Hee, sorry - I was typing fast.

No, output might reflect oliguria, but will not affect what they're worried about when they calculate proteinuria over a 24 hour period. The funny thing is, English reflects that, but in a way that doesn't always make sense! They literally just want proteinuria over a 24 hour period, or

proteinuria
_____________ <--- see, it's actually over the 24 hours, when we write it in math notation! The fraction just works like that.

24 hours

or the total amount or proteinuria in the 24 hour catch. When I teach math, almost everyone has missed this! Math is so unintuitive. :)
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Wed Sep 05, 2012 03:38 pm

Thanks caryn!
mychaelelaine

Postby Bmoremama » Thu Sep 06, 2012 09:19 am

I didnt know that! So on the urine dip sticks they do in the office, is that the same units, just mg, or is that a concentration, mg per unit of volume?
Bmoremama

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Sep 06, 2012 04:29 pm

As far as I know, it's a concentration. I was quite shocked to find out the dipsticks aren't accurate. The way the triage dr explained, you urinate one time and there's protein. Next minute, you can urinate and there's a smaller amount of protein.
mychaelelaine

Postby caryn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 08:05 pm

Right - the dipsticks are mg/dL. 30 mg/dL is a +1, 300 mg/dL is a +3, etc. And the number of deciliters can vary dramatically depending on how much you've had to drink lately, so you can end up with a +1 if your urine is quite concentrated.

Smaller output can tip over the diagnostic line into oliguria, especially if you're also swelling substantially. When my kidneys finally gave up I had pulmonary edema and needed an oxygen mask - just another of the indications that it was time to deliver, for me.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?