Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Another question re: bp

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Another question re: bp

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:33 am

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:33 am

Over the past 3 days, I've had a high reading... 138/94 one morning, 144/97, last night, 144/100 this morning... So, once once per day. I know pre-e is only diagnosed when bp is over 140/90 two times in a 6 hour setting. Mine goes normal within the hour after taking my meds. So, should I not be concerned?
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Re: Another question re: bp

Postby caryn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 04:16 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Tue Sep 04, 2012 04:16 pm

It's not "in a 6 hour setting" - it's two readings of either separated by 6 hours, the idea being that a one time temporary spike isn't diagnostic, but if you're ringing in high pressures more than once, it is. So your pressures are diagnostic, I'd think.

Apart from that, they will usually discount low pressures if you are medicated as unreliable - and follow you more closely. Meds can "mask" symptoms if pressures are the only indication being monitored, and women on meds with normal-looking pressures can still seize.

What has your doc said? They may want to tinker with the med dose or schedule an additional med...
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Sep 04, 2012 04:27 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Tue Sep 04, 2012 04:27 pm

caryn wrote:It's not "in a 6 hour setting" - it's two readings of either separated by 6 hours, the idea being that a one time temporary spike isn't diagnostic, but if you're ringing in high pressures more than once, it is. So your pressures are diagnostic, I'd think.

Apart from that, they will usually discount low pressures if you are medicated as unreliable - and follow you more closely. Meds can "mask" symptoms if pressures are the only indication being monitored, and women on meds with normal-looking pressures can still seize.

What has your doc said? They may want to tinker with the med dose or schedule an additional med...

Thanks
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby mychaelelaine » Wed Sep 05, 2012 03:50 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Wed Sep 05, 2012 03:50 pm

I'm so irritated guys. I'm just having a bad day and had an even worse night. After I delivered my daughter last October, it took around 11 weeks for my bp to become somewhat stable. I felt helpless. One ER dr would say I needed to go to ER if my pressures were 160/100 while another would say I didn't need to go unless I saw 190s/110s. Huh?!?!?! I was soooooo afraid of having a seizure. I had already been really sick with hellp syndrome and thanked God for keeping me safe although lil Mychael died. Now I kind of feel like I'm in that same spot. My Obgyn said to go to triage if my pressures stayed 140s/90s OR elevated to 150s/100s. Last night when we arrived home, my pressure was 144/100. I sat, relaxed, and took my meds. I waited an hour and 1/2 bp just rose to 154/102. I got in the car and went to labor and delivery. Anyway, trace protein and bp did go down after about an hour (without any more meds). Baby was non reactive on his NST but passed the BPP. They sent me home with a 24 hour lab again. I asked what bp numbers should send me straight to labor and delivery. She said 160s/100s. Huh?!?!?! That high. I just disregarded her advice. I'm going with, consistently staying 140s/90s or 150s/100s. It's just annoying to place this much emphasis on me and my decisions. Ugh. Any thoughts/advice????
mychaelelaine

Postby Bmoremama » Thu Sep 06, 2012 09:17 am

by Bmoremama (22 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 09:17 am

I had a check up yesterday (30 weeks) and was explaining how I was starting to get really anxious about the appointments. Feeling like I'd have a positive urine dip and high BP and that would be the end. They'd whisk me away for an induction or section. My midwife was really calm and supportive and said I didn't need to be anxious, that it wouldn't be like that. There would be other tests and other factors they'd be looking at before starting an induction. I think it's the same in your case. It's not going to be a line in the sand or one bp reading that determines what the course of action is. If you're still only at trace protein, maybe they're thinking the BP can be managed Until you are spilling more protein.

You did the right thing by going to the hospital, but just going there doesn't necessarily mean they are going to do anything other than more tests.

I'm sorry you are going through this!!! Maybe you can schedule an appointment just to discuss her expectations and express your concerns, at a time when you're not in the hospital with high pressures? Just schedule a time to have a conversation.

Hope your 24h turns out ok!!!
Bmoremama

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Sep 06, 2012 04:35 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 04:35 pm

Oh I know there are many factors. Overall, in my case and given I had severe pre-e, so soon at 22 weeks, lost my baby, have lupus, am 38, and am chronic hypertensive makes induction a sooner scenario for me than others though. Lol. You know what I mean? With me, if things look like they're going downhill, they are... Fast. So, they're not willing to play. Talked with my MFM today. He said 37 weeks! He said he hadn't fully reviewed my chart when he said 40 weeks. When he reviewed all the above mentioned factors, he said 37 weeks would be best.
mychaelelaine

Postby Bmoremama » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:18 pm

by Bmoremama (22 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "send me straight to labor and delivery." I thought you meant for an actual delivery.
Bmoremama

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:45 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Lol. I'm sorry, I meant... What numbers should send me straight to labor and delivery triage in general, not to be delivered... Just to be seen by a dr. I don't want him to come! I do but I want him safe. You know what I mean. Sorry, I probably made that unclear.
mychaelelaine

Postby Bmoremama » Fri Sep 07, 2012 08:23 am

by Bmoremama (22 Posts), Fri Sep 07, 2012 08:23 am

Typical Internet misunderstanding! :)

How have your bp's been since then?
Bmoremama

Postby mychaelelaine » Fri Sep 07, 2012 09:58 am

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Fri Sep 07, 2012 09:58 am

Lol. Yes! I've not had any 150s/100s... Just 140s/90s. I keep thinking about the possibility of the meds masking pre-e though. Nothing I can do though I guess but keep monitoring and watching for symptoms. I'm doing another 24 hour so, that'll make me feel good if it comes back low. 34 weeks Monday!
mychaelelaine

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?