Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Ultrasounds...how many and when??

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Ultrasounds...how many and when??

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Fri Sep 07, 2012 03:46 pm

by holly3372@msn.com (478 Posts), Fri Sep 07, 2012 03:46 pm

Hi everyone. So I am 19 weeks today. At 16 weeks I had an ultrasound with MFM with lots of measurements and blood flow monitoring. All looked good so MFM said he would see me in 6 weeks which surprised me based on my history. I saw my Ob today and thought for sure Id be having another ultrasound at this time. I told him that this was the time that although my Bp's were good and urine dipstick showed no protein, they were able to see by ultrasound that my son was not measuring what he should be in my last pregnancy. Not too long after I was told he was Iugr and about a week later preeclampsia. My Ob said that since all was well so far they are going by that and that there is really no need at this time for another ultrasound as there is not much they can do before 24 weeks anyway. So I was told to wait for my next appointment with MFM which I will then be 22 weeks.He did a doppler reading so I heard the heartbeat, briefly. My Bp was good today and I did have trace protein in my urine strip, but they didn't seem concerned over this. So, again my last ultrasound was at 16 weeks and they are telling me it's ok to have my next ultrasound at 22 weeks. What do you girls think??
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Re: Ultrasounds...how many and when??

Postby Raposa » Fri Sep 07, 2012 05:36 pm

by Raposa (85 Posts), Fri Sep 07, 2012 05:36 pm

I had a baseline ultrasound at about 9 weeks when all my current issues started, and then they didn't measure anything again for a while. My next ultrasound is the morphology for 20 weeks here in about a week and a half. I was told by my MFM that they'd do another ultrasound at 28 weeks to check on the uterine arteries and double-check the baby then... after that, if there's any sign of growth problems, probably check every 4 weeks or so.

I like this MFM. She gives me a full game plan!

I'm kind of surprised that they did the baseline for the baby at 16 weeks and not 20, but I guess if you have a history then it makes sense to check earlier. Or maybe they just check earlier where you are. Some OBs have different standards. Mine does the 20 week for everybody, but only does other ultrasounds if there are issues.
1st son, induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e, born 6/18/10.
2nd son, c-section at 37 weeks due to hypertension, born 1/15/13.
Raposa

Postby julieb » Fri Sep 07, 2012 07:37 pm

by julieb (364 Posts), Fri Sep 07, 2012 07:37 pm

I am currently pregnant with #3 and I had an ultrasound at my MFM at 6 weeks, 10 weeks and I have another appt for an ultrasound next week at 14 weeks. I also had a dating ultrasound with my OB at 9 weeks. We are following the same game plan that we had with #2 which was ultrasounds every 4 weeks until 20 weeks and then every 2 weeks from 20 weeks on to check growth of baby, fluid level and blood flow because my DS was already measuring small at my anatomy scan at 20 weeks with him and I developed PE around 22 weeks with him. I always feel so reassured after the ultrasounds and my MFM does take a very conservative approach to my care but at the same time he always tells me that we don't need to worry until we have something to worry about. I got very sick very fast with my DS and my MFM does the ultrasounds to stay ahead of PE if it starts to develop. My MFM also let me come in to check on baby last time at 28 weeks which is when my son was born, just to reassure me that things were okay so it never hurts to ask if it would make you feel better to have more ultrasounds.
Mason 5/17/07 28w6d 1lb 10oz Severe PE and IUGR
Makenna 4/24/10 36w1d 4lb 8oz PIH but no PE!!! (On Lovenox, Labetalol, Folic Acid and Synthroid)
#3 due 3/10/13...Lovenox, LDA, Labetalol, Synthroid and Folic Acid...praying for another PE free pregnancy!
julieb

Postby olivejuice0806 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 08:35 pm

by olivejuice0806 (64 Posts), Fri Sep 07, 2012 08:35 pm

I had ultrasounds at 6,7 and 9 weeks due to spotting. At 16 weeks, my OB had me begin going to the MFM every 4 weeks for ultrasounds. The game plan has always been that if it is necessary to put me on bp meds, my ultrasounds will be reduced to every 2 weeks. But, I haven't had to go on meds so far. Also, my baby has measured on the large side in every ultrasound, so they are thinking that if he is still that big at 33 weeks, he should stay on that track through delivery. I would say if you aren't comfortable, say something. The last thing you want is for something to happen and you be left with the "what if's".
Shanda (38)
Baby #1 PE 11/3/1993 39 weeks 7lbs. 4oz.
Baby #2 Severe PE/HELLP 9/21/1999 31 weeks 4lbs. 2oz
Baby #3 Mild PE 6/1/2007 39 weeks 7lbs. 1oz.
Baby #4 PE 10/31/2012 37 weeks 6lbs. 11 oz.
Miscarriage 5/2010
Miscarriage 10/2011
olivejuice0806

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Fri Sep 07, 2012 09:18 pm

by holly3372@msn.com (478 Posts), Fri Sep 07, 2012 09:18 pm

thanks girls, the thing is I did ask for another ultrasound this visit. I emailed the doc reminding him of my history and how at this time in my last pregnancy my son measured behind. I told him rathe rthen just a doppler heartbeat reading i'd like an ultrasound. He emailed me back that he would in fact be doing an ultrasound as well as some labs. However at my appointment today it was like he didn't know me. When I asked about our email and the ultrasound he said that he didn't have my chart in front of him when he answered my email!!! I asked why he would bother answering any of my health questions without having my chart in front of him. He said there is no reason for an ultrasound at this time,that I should just see the MFM for my scheduled appointment and have next ultrasound at 22 weeks. I am not liking this and feel that it's too much time apart between 16 and 22 weeks for ultrasounds. I am going to call monday and insist on having one. Screw him
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby princess purr » Sat Sep 08, 2012 09:11 am

by princess purr (1092 Posts), Sat Sep 08, 2012 09:11 am

I would be really upset. When I talked to my peri 8 years ago I was told I would be getting ultrasound every four weeks. Like 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks, 20 weeks, 24 weeks and then I think every two weeks. There is a place about 45 minutes from me that you can pay to have ultrasounds done. But they of course don't evaluate them, they are more just for fun ultrasounds. I plan to get one or two of those done as well. But I'm really hoping that I would really be getting ultrasounds often because Veronica was measuring right at 20 weeks and then she was small at 25 weeks! Good luck!! I hope your doc starts working with you more!!
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby courageismyname » Wed Sep 12, 2012 03:25 am

by courageismyname (23 Posts), Wed Sep 12, 2012 03:25 am

I am 14.5 weeks and so far have had 4 ultrasounds...3 at my midwife/OB practice and one at MFM. One at 6.5 weeks to confirm pregnancy and placement, one at 8 weeks to decide on due date (this baby was measuring big then), one at 10 plus weeks when my midwife couldn't hear the heartbeat with the Doppler and just wanted to confirm it again, and one at 11.5 weeks at my MFM's for the nuchal fold translucency. I have another one scheduled in 2 weeks, when I'll be 16.5 weeks.

My MFM wants me to get one every month to check for IUGR after the anatomy
scan, but I need to ask him if he meant the 16 week initial scan or the 20 week. I guess it doesn't matter...that works out to be every month by that point anyway, I just realized...

I love getting them! So heartening to see the growth and movement hear the heartbeat. And get one of those pictures...

I support you in following your instincts and doing what makes you feel most reassured! If you want another ultrasound, I say ask for one. Any good MFM should understand why.
Eclamptic seizure in labor 12/1/09, age 39. Son born very healthy at 42 weeks and 9 lbs 4 oz via C section. PE had been suspected (by me) but not diagnosed by homebirth midwife. Pregnant again with #2, due 3/9/13.
courageismyname

Return to Pregnant Again?