Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Bad Headaches in early 2nd Trimester

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Bad Headaches in early 2nd Trimester

Postby rebecca2 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 05:31 pm

by rebecca2 (639 Posts), Tue Sep 18, 2012 05:31 pm

It is been a while since I've been on these boards and I could use some advice...

Does anyone know if headaches at the beginning of the 2nd trimester have anything to do with whether you develop PE later in pregnancy? I'm 13w5d with baby #4 and for the past week I've had BAD headaches. Initially they were fairly mild, would go away with tylenol, and I thought they were related to sinuses and the weather getting cooler. However, they've gotten much worse and the location of the pain varies. Sometimes it is at the back of my head near my neck and then it will move behind my eyes. I haven't had any significant morning sickness with this pregnancy, but when I get these headaches I can't keep anything down, not even BP meds. (Thankfully my BP is fine.) The strange thing is I don't really feel nauseas, I just don't feel hungry. However, if I eat or even take a sip of water so I can take the labetalol or tylenol, I get sick. I remember having the same thing during my 1st pregnancy which ended w/ PE at 26 weeks and the loss of my daughter, so I'm terrified it is a sign of what is to come. I didn't have these headaches in my 2nd & 3rd pregnancy and they were PE free. Am I ready too much into this? Is it just one of those normal differences between pregnancies which has nothing to do with PE? FWIW, I'll see my OB tomorrow & will discuss it with him, but thought I'd ask here as well.
Becky
Mom to...
baby girl Addison 3/11/09-3/11/09 (severe preeclampsia 26w5d)
baby boy Aden 5/25/10 (35w6d low amniotic fluid)
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11
rebecca2

Re: Bad Headaches in early 2nd Trimester

Postby angieb » Tue Sep 18, 2012 07:06 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Tue Sep 18, 2012 07:06 pm

I'm not an expert, but I *think* they are *usually* concerned about headaches in relation to bp, as high bp can give someone headaches and be a symptom. I know it can also foreshadow a seizure/stroke, but I think most often, and especially early in the 2nd trimester, the main concern would be if your blood pressure was also elevated.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby sam10 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 07:19 pm

by sam10 (1438 Posts), Tue Sep 18, 2012 07:19 pm

Headaches can be an annoying part of pregnancy and are mostly related to hormonal changes (especially during early pregnancy), infections (cold), migraines, allergies, or tension headache. However, they can also be a sign of PE, but usually not before 20 weeks gestation. But I doubt that a headache is a sign that you will develop PE, but you can definitely ask your doctor. When I asked mine, he told me that due to the different reasons for a headache, it cannot be used as a reliable indicator for PE.
How is your BP? As you are not mentioning it, I assume it is just fine?

The headache you are describing sounds a lot like mine. I just saw my doctor today (I am 29 weeks and well into the PE timeframe) and he believes it is sinus irritation of some sort or allergies. I have no other symptoms that could indicate PE or HELLP (BP good, labs are fine, urine is clear, no blurry vision). The best relief I get is from sinus rinse with saline solution, tylenol and claritin.

Let me know what your doc says tomorrow. I would be curios to hear.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby marilyn621 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:04 am

by marilyn621 (40 Posts), Wed Sep 19, 2012 04:04 am

I had some pretty nasty headaches early in my second trimester that sent me to the ER begging for relief. Fluids and painkillers did the trick. I did develop "the headache" and PE in this pregnancy but it wasn't diagnosed until 35 weeks as mild. I'm also a chronic but whenever I went in for headaches my BP was really low (which could have something to do with it as well.)
Scarlett Elizabeth born 12-16-05, 40wks +3, severe PE
Miscarried 11/2011
Rachel Irene born 9-19-12, chronic hypertension and mild PE, induced at 37wks+3,delivered via c-section 37wks+5
marilyn621

Return to Ask the Experienced