Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Pregnant again - what monitoring should I expect ??

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Pregnant again - what monitoring should I expect ??

Postby beccie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 04:27 am

by beccie (1 Posts), Tue Sep 18, 2012 04:27 am

Hi

I had severe pre eclampsia with my 2nd baby, only discovered the day I had him, so bad they were preparing to do an emergency c-section. I went into labour naturally so they allowed me to give birth naturally, but I was monitored extremely closely throughout labour. I was given medication to speed the labour up, my waters were broken within 15 minutes of labour starting, etc. My pre-e. was only discovered because I had a urine test at hospital after having a watery show over the weekend. Had I of not gone for that urine test and laboured at home, the doctor said me and my baby would have been in serious danger.

So - he is now 14 months old, and I found out last week that I am expecting again. It was unplanned, so is a bit of a shock. I just wondered for those who have been through similar - did you get extra monitoring in your next pregnancy ? If so - what ? And what are the chances of getting it again ? xx
beccie

Re: Pregnant again - what monitoring should I expect ??

Postby olivejuice0806 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 05:02 pm

by olivejuice0806 (64 Posts), Tue Sep 18, 2012 05:02 pm

It honestly depends on your doctor. But I would not feel comfortable not being monitored closely. You should have at least the protein in your urine monitored at every visit, and several ultrasounds to follow baby's growth.
Shanda (38)
Baby #1 PE 11/3/1993 39 weeks 7lbs. 4oz.
Baby #2 Severe PE/HELLP 9/21/1999 31 weeks 4lbs. 2oz
Baby #3 Mild PE 6/1/2007 39 weeks 7lbs. 1oz.
Baby #4 PE 10/31/2012 37 weeks 6lbs. 11 oz.
Miscarriage 5/2010
Miscarriage 10/2011
olivejuice0806

Postby sam10 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 05:38 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Tue Sep 18, 2012 05:38 pm

Welcome to our forums! I am glad you and your 2nd baby are well today:-)

After having had PE you are most likely considered high-risk in a subsequent pregnancy and therefore your care during your pregnancy will differ from the usual care. Ideally your pregnancy will be co-managed by your ob and a high-risk ob. In some cases high-risk ob's take over the care completely (which is the case for me).
I would recommend that you to set-up an appointment with a high-risk ob, so s/he can assess your medical background and look at your history of PE. Based on that your pregnancy care will be determined. This can/but does not have to entail 24-hour urine collection at the beginning and later in your pregnancy, more monitoring (especially later in pregnancy), some differing medications (e.g. I am currently taking low-dose aspirin (but just by doctors orders). You most likely will monitor your BP at home.
You might also be tested for underlying disorders (like clotting disorders, and autoimmune diseases).

If you have any questions, feel free to post and we'll do our best to answer all of them

Congratulations and I will keep my fingers crossed for a boring and uneventful pregnancy. :)
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Bmoremama » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:15 pm

by Bmoremama (22 Posts), Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:15 pm

I have seen mixed information on what your chances are of having it again. The most important thing is to get good prenatal care so you can know if things start to go wrong.

I am with a group of midwives who collaborate with an MFM for high risk cases. I was afraid they would not be able to care for me if I got sick again, but they reassured me that they would be consulting with the OB if I got pre-e again, and if I did not, I would just be under their care. I feel very comfortable with this arrangement, but I know it's not for everyone.

I have a urine dipstick at every visit, I had a 20 week anatomical scan, and I check my blood pressure at home every day and bring the results in to the office visits when I go.
Bmoremama

Return to Pregnant Again?