new here! need some help please!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

new here! need some help please!

Postby tyanna » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:46 am

I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I did not have pre-e with my other two pregnancies. My last two OB visits (the last one being at 24 weeks) I have had protein in my urine. The first time it was just a trace amount and the doctor said the second time it was at a level of 30 (this was all she said and said she wasn't concerned). A few weeks ago I wasn't feeling well so I took my BP and it was 168/99. I called my doc and they told me to check it again later. It was then 145/84. They said since it was going down to take it easy. Fast forward to this week, I have been having blurry vision (mainly at night) and the other day I was driving and noticed white squiggly floaters in my line of vision. All week I have also been having this intense right shoulder pain (its radiates up my neck and down my right arm about half way.) I have no swelling and last night I took my BP again and it was 119/71. Should I be concerned that something is going on? I have my 28 week OB appointment on Monday morning. Should I wait it out until then or go to L&D? I don't want to look like fool coming in there, especially if it is for nothing.

Any help and input I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)
tyanna

Re: new here! need some help please!

Postby jenh » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:42 am

If I were you, I'd want some labs run, in particular to check for HELLP syndrome. The upper right quadrant pain can be a sign that your liver is in trouble. I would also want a 24-hour urine test to see exactly how much protein is in your urine. Have you called your doctor to see what s/he says? I personally would go into L&D. Better to be a fool going in for nothing than a fool ignoring something dangerous, right?
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Postby sam10 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 05:52 pm

Welcome to the forums. Sorry you are not feeling too well.
If I am not certain what to do and it is outside of the usual office hours of my doctors office, always call the on-call doctor who usually asks me a bunch of questions to evaluate whether I should come in to be seen at L&D. Twice they asked me to come in to get checked given my history. I wonder if you could do that too? If not, I would go straight to L&D. Your vision disturbances and the upper right quadrant pain I find concerning .

Let us know how it goes.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby princess purr » Sat Sep 22, 2012 06:19 pm

I would go to L & D to get checked out. If it is nothing, you get to go home... if it is something, at least you will be monitored. I am not the type of person to go to the ER or anything, but preeclampsia isn't something to mess with. When I had severe PE my blood pressure was going up and down. Better to be safe. Good Luck!
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby melissaa » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 am

I am having the headaches with viual stuff, protein of 185 4 weeks ago and my shoulder pain sounds identical to yours. My bp is higher than norm but not quite as high as yours was the first time. All this started at 28 weeks for me as well, I did have pre-e with both of my other children, and my dr's seem to be brushing it off too. We seem to be in a very similar situation. Keep us posted and definitely push for what your gut tells you dispite the fact that the dr's dont seem concerned. You know your body better than they do and not everything is textbook. Good luck!!
Me (26) D (29)
#1 Addison~ 5-31-07 emergency c-sec 35 weeks. 4 lbs 12 oz. (IUGR, PRE-E, fetal distress)-had to be delivered so fast they broke her leg during delivery.
#2 Lucas~ delivered @ 36 weeks 6 lbs 10 oz. (PIH, PRE-E)
#3 Harper Lily-delivered @ 37.6 weeks 7 lbs (PIH)
melissaa

Return to Ask the Experienced