Should I call on-call for this?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Should I call on-call for this?

Postby melissaa » Sun Sep 30, 2012 02:53 pm

This morning I woke up and my hands and eyes were swollen (just had labs done Thursday and other than my protein being 195, everything looked fine), the swelling in my eyes went down within 30-45 minutes and the swelling in my left hand went down within a few hours. The swelling in my right hand has remained and my arm/fingers are feeling almost like the're going numb (not tingly.. but just ..heavy and weird?) Its not numb though. When I check my bp in my left arm, its 121/72 but when I check it in the right, its 138/81. Im not sure whether or not this warrants a call to on-call. I really hate being that pregnant lady that calls in over everything but this seems odd. WWYD? Im drinking water and relaxing on the couch knitting.. so im keeping the blood flowing in it but not over-doing it.
Me (26) D (29)
#1 Addison~ 5-31-07 emergency c-sec 35 weeks. 4 lbs 12 oz. (IUGR, PRE-E, fetal distress)-had to be delivered so fast they broke her leg during delivery.
#2 Lucas~ delivered @ 36 weeks 6 lbs 10 oz. (PIH, PRE-E)
#3 Harper Lily-delivered @ 37.6 weeks 7 lbs (PIH)
melissaa

Re: Should I call on-call for this?

Postby princess purr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 03:15 pm

I would call just to let them know and see if they want you to get checked out. It sounds like everything is fine, but we all know how quickly it can turn and I phone call won't hurt. Just make sure to keep checking your blood pressure and if it goes up at all get yourself into the doc!
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!
princess purr

Postby sam10 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 04:51 pm

I know how it feels not wanting to be THAT pregnant lady. It took me an hour last night to decide to call with a weird BP reading, but I am glad that I did; even the doc said it was the right thing to do. I think you should call, just so you'll get clarification whether you need yo be seen. It is their job to listen to us and make decisions about our symptoms.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Sun Sep 30, 2012 05:51 pm

Eh, if you aren't having any symptoms besides swelling, and your bp is still relatively normal, and your recent 24 hour urine was nearly normal, I would probably wait and call tomorrow.

My face/hands/feet have been swollen for a few weeks now and I was spilling 700 mg of protein. They are keeping a close eye on everything (seeing MFM weekly, NST's 2x a week), but I don't think there's much they can/will do in the absence of other symptoms (high blood pressure, upper right quadrant pain, headaches/seeing spots/etc.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Return to Ask the Experienced