Post Reply FAQ Members Login

DID INJECTING LOVENOX...

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

DID INJECTING LOVENOX...

Postby lkw787 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 04:34 pm

WARNING: PREGNANCY LOSS AND ILLNESS MENTIONED

DID INJECTING LOVENOX KEEP HELLP SYNDROME AT BAY? DID GOING OFF OF IT CAUSE IT TO KICK IN? OR WERE THESE COINCIDENTAL OCCURENCES?

I developed the worst class of HELLP two days after ceasing lovenox injections I'd put myself on at the advice of an RI and an RE after I lost three pregnancies at the end of the first trimester after two good u/s with h/b. My OB instructed me to cease lovenox because I needed a c-section due to a large fibroid blocking my cervix and I could not be on a blood thinner before surgery. Up until that point my pregnancy had been relatively easy, blissful, and uneventful.

Prior to getting pregnant I was underweight, a life long non-smoker and a ten-year long vegetarian, in excellent health. During my pregnancy I did prenatal yoga as well as swim aerobics and I gained only the expected amount of weight.

Though I was 44 at the time of my pregnancy, my OB did not suggest that I was particularly high risk and allowed me to plan to choose to deliver in a small community hospital. (I chose that hospital because I thought mine would be a scheduled c-section, I liked the size of the recovery rooms better and I also liked that the hospital had lactation consultants had on staff and I hoped to breast feed.) Unfortunately, my baby had to be delivered via emergency c-section two days after I ceased the lovenox injections when I came down suddenly with the worst class of HELLP Syndrome that gave me a stroke which put me in a coma. I was lucky that a brilliant neurosurgeon was in ICU visiting another patient when I had my stroke and an operating room happened to be open so that he could perform the craniotomy I needed so that he could evacuate the bleed. However, the next day HELLP ruptured my liver and I was then shipped off to a bigger hospital to be monitored in case I needed a liver transplant. I got very lucky because my liver healed. After six weeks in a coma on life support I was weaned off of the respirator and ventilator and feeding tube and learned to swallow, breathe, and speak again. I was finally allowed to live at home (with the help of a driver and a nanny for my daughter) while I continued doing outpatient cognitive and physical therapies and luckily all of this care (more than $2 million) was covered by my (now lapsed) dual union provided medical insurance. Sadly, due to the brain injury I have no memories of the first three months of my daughter's life and was not able to live at home with her until she was six months old. I still struggle with some residual path-finding and short term memory issues though all in all I have made an excellent recovery and despite all of this I do consider my family and myself blessed.

I hope that one day I will be back to normal functioning. However, my family has been profoundly affected by this health disaster. I also worry about the likeliness of my daughter to contract HELLP should she try to carry a pregnancy some day. I do consider us very fortunate, however, because my daughter is very healthy. She was born two weeks prior to my due date and was a very healthy baby who remains a very healthy, lively, intelligent child.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

Sincerely,

Lisa
Mom after 3 mcs
many failed IUIs, 2 failed IVFs
conceived via DE IVF (ESET blastocyst transfer)
HELLP Syndrome (stroke/coma/TBI) survivor

P.S. I tried starting an in-person support group for HELLP Syndrome survivors and was surprised that the other women's stories were so different from mine. It was as if we experienced completely different illnesses. Based on this I can imagine that HELLP is a very difficult disease to predict or diagnose. Thanks again for any feedback!
lkw787

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders