Post Reply FAQ Members Login

IS MY DAUGHTER AT GREATER RISK?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

IS MY DAUGHTER AT GREATER RISK?

Postby lkw787 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:17 pm

by lkw787 (16 Posts), Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:17 pm

I suffered the worst class of HELLP two years ago. It ruptured my liver and gave me a stroke that put me in a month long coma. I needed an emergency c-section, a craniotomy, tracheotomy, $11,000 of blood transfusions over two days, and 18 months of cognitive and physical therapies to return to normal functioning. Because of all the GREAT care I received (fully covered by our wonderful health insurance) and the fact that my daughter was born healthy, I consider myself very blessed, though of course, all of this has been very difficult.

My question is: is my daughter at greater risk for getting HELLP herself if she one day tries to carry a pregnancy?

My daughter was conceived with the help of an egg donor since the experts I consulted after multiple pregnancy losses assured me that such losses were due to my age/my egg quality and that donor egg was the only way I could have a healthy pregnancy/live birth. I didn't entirely believe that "old eggs" were the problem, especially since a tissue analysis of the last fetus came back "XX Normal." However, I moved on to DE IVF at age 41 after I accepted that time was no longer on my side.

I have recently read that there MAY be a male genetic component to HELLP. Some facts about my husband's side of the family lead me to think this may be the case with us: When my husband and I traveled to his ancestral village in England we met an elderly resident who made cryptic comments about how men in his family didn't have lots of children (we both remember these comments). Also, my husband's father was an only child in an age prior to the invention of reliable birth control (the pill), which leads me to think that either his grandparents lost other pregnancies early on or that they were aware of a pregnancy related issue that made them commit to having only one child.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

Sincerely,

Lisa
lkw787

Re: IS MY DAUGHTER AT GREATER RISK?

Postby blythe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 00:07 am

by blythe (3060 Posts), Fri Jul 13, 2012 00:07 am

Hi Lisa! If I understand right, sisters and daughters are at greater risk of PE, but I don't think the increase is very big - maybe a percentage or two? Sorry I don't have better numbers for you!

The "male" component is really interesting from a research perspective - search Caryn's posts, especially the one where she collects research links. I'm especially fascinated by your husband's family history! However, our experts aren't thrilled with the "dangerous partner" theory and point out that PE is probably and *interaction* between the mother's genetics, the mother's body, and the father's genetics.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Re: IS MY DAUGHTER AT GREATER RISK?

Postby lkw787 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 04:43 pm

by lkw787 (16 Posts), Tue Oct 02, 2012 04:43 pm

Thanks Blythe.

Yes, even if there is a paternal component, not much to be done about that NOW.

I assume that as research on HELLP unfolds and more is discovered about risk to offspring those results will be posted here? Glad to hear that if there is a risk it is very small.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Lisa
lkw787

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders