Post Reply FAQ Members Login

bone loss?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

bone loss?

Postby joker » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:06 am

by joker (1212 Posts), Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:06 am

Anyone else out there have bone loss after PE?

I had a regular dental appt and the xrays showed I had a signifigant amount of bone loss in my jaw. Yikes.

I was on lovenox which I know depletes calcium, but I was taking a supplement. I am also having lots of problems with keeping my vitamin d levels up.

Seriously, I am falling apart. And my liver pain is back. joy.
Jen-type 1 diabetic
Abigail-born still June 29, 2007; PE/HELLP @ 18 weeks
Alison-4/17/2009; PE/HELLP @ 34 weeks
joker

Re: bone loss?

Postby caryn » Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:04 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:04 pm

*bump*

No one else has been diagnosed with this? I know it's one of the known risks of injectible blood thinners...
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 am

by season (1416 Posts), Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 am

I have not heard of this from others. I did have teeth/mouth issues after my pregnancies, but it's not clear they were pre-e related. I have not been on blood thinners either. I know pregnancy itself can have an effect on dental health. If you had any lingering gum infection this could cause bone loss as well.
season
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:46 am

by alviarin (1651 Posts), Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:46 am

No bone loss here, that I know of anyway. But my mom and her sister did develop osteoporosis early. We have since found out that the women in our family - including my mom- are vitamin D deficient and have to take high doses to stay in range. So I definitely wonder if there is a connection with the low vitamin D.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby lkw787 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 05:19 pm

by lkw787 (16 Posts), Tue Oct 02, 2012 05:19 pm

Two years post HELLP Syndrome which did its best to kill me (ruptured my liver and gave me a stroke that put me in a month long coma) I was diagnosed with bone density loss after my GP had a bone density scan done.

I don't know if HELLP exacerbated the bone loss but I had been a ten year long vegetarian while trying to conceive my daughter (born March 2010) and I am naturally fine boned. My mom who is in her sixties has bone density loss but I did not expect at age 46 to have it. Aside from calcium and vitamin D3 supplements I don't really know what else to do. I do swim aerobics twice a week as well as yoga just to help me stay in shape and feel better but I'm not sure if these help at all.

I was on keppra (an anti-seizure medicine) for two years (post HELLP Syndrome which gave me seizures the night my daughter was delivered) and I wonder if Keppra could have contributed to the bone density loss and joint pain.

Open to any and all informed replies.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sincerely,

Lisa
lkw787

Postby alviarin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:07 pm

by alviarin (1651 Posts), Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:07 pm

You could always ask your doc to test your vitamin D level. That is how I found out I was vitamin D deficient even on a multivitamin and living in the sunny south.

We have since discovered that the women in my family are atypical and have to take mega-doses of vitamin D to stay in range. (I wouldn't recommend high doses of vit. D without testing for a deficiency first and consulting a doc since too much vitamin D can be toxic.)
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby Minimimi2005 » Tue May 13, 2014 06:46 pm

by Minimimi2005 (1 Posts), Tue May 13, 2014 06:46 pm

I am new to the forum and tomorrow I am going in for the beginning of having dental implants due to bone loss! I have been so confused as to why I have had bone loss. I had PE with all 3 of my children and HELLP with my second. My youngest is 8 years old and I am approaching 49. My Mother had PE her first pregnancy and had dental bone loss issues. Back in the 1970's they told her here bone loss was due to her pregnancies. I am glad I decided to search for this. It gives me something to think about.
Minimimi2005

Return to After your baby is born .....