Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Rising BP, Complicated Pregnancy

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Rising BP, Complicated Pregnancy

Postby weesej » Sun Oct 14, 2012 02:32 pm

by weesej (3 Posts), Sun Oct 14, 2012 02:32 pm

For some background: I have had a series of complicated pregnancies. This is my 9th baby. I had borderline high BP with baby #1, the midwife thought I might be heading towards PE, so she induced me at 38 weeks. I then had several normal pregnancies. Baby #4 was born prematurely at 34.5 weeks, low birth weight of 4.5 lbs. He had a very small placenta. I later found out I had contracted Lyme Disease during his pregnancy. Baby #5 I developed GD and was on insulin. baby #6 and #7 I had GD and Cholestatsis of pregnancy (liver disorder). With baby #8 I had GD from week 20 and at week 24 developed fluctuating high BP (120-140/70-90) I did also end up with about 364 mg of protein in my 24 hour urine. Between week 36 and 38 my insulin needs dropped by 2/3, indicating a malfunctioning placenta. I delivered at 38 weeks.

Now for this pregnancy. I developed GD earlier than ever before...by week 14 I was on insulin. I did have normal sugars previously. My normal BPs are 120/60-70, but by week 20, I swelled with pitting edema in my legs. At by week 21 had a BP of 142/86 at my appt. The Dr that day did not inspire my confidence as she did not even look at the swelling and did not bring up the BP until asked. She seems to be a "don't worry your pretty little head" type Dr. I began monitoring it at home and it has consistently been running 140-156/70-92....usually upper 80's. Swelling continues and is always worse first thing in the morning and improves during the day, but never goes away completely. The pits in my legs remind my daughter of memory foam:) Also, in spite of having good diet, my sugars have been running away from me and I am more insulin that any previous pregnancy. My ultrasound show an average head 50%, abdomen of 25% and legs 10%....Baby is just slightly below average weight when all are taken together. That being said, I am a grand whopping 23.2 weeks.

I feel like a ticking time bomb, yet at the same time truly hope things just maintain here for a long time to come. I am being seen tomorrow by a Dr I like a lot more and plan to request a 24 hour urine to keep an eye on things. I am already being followed by MFM regularly due to the GD, and I am tempted to request and see if they can take over care completely.

Anyone with a similar story??? How did things turn out??

One question I have..... I have a fairly good understanding of the possible causes of PreE which begs the question of whether using BP meds are just a band-aid?? If baby is trying to raise your BP because the placenta is functioning poorly enough, does lowering the BP actually do anything beneficial other than helping mom not to worry. Are there studies that show the use of BP meds to prolong the pregnancy?? or provide other beneficial results? I only ask, because the meds I was on last time made me SO SICK, which I will gladly do again if I need to, but am questioning the benefit us doing.

Another question....any supplements that have been shown to make a difference??

Thanks

Jen
weesej

Re: Rising BP, Complicated Pregnancy

Postby mom29 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 05:46 pm

by mom29 (1391 Posts), Sun Oct 14, 2012 05:46 pm

Hi Jen,

I've had some similar situations. First, I've had 12 children. My first was delivered early due to severe pre-eclampsia and he weighed 4 lbs. 13 oz. I had a lot of easy uncomplicated pregnancies after that.

I do have chronic hypertension that I developed during a pregnancy seven years ago. I was not treated for the hypertension and was walking around with some crazy high numbers the last few months. Developed post-partum pre-eclampsia and landed back in the hospital a week after my son was born. The OB forgot to have me tested for gd during that pregnancy.

The next pregnancy I asked to be tested early for gd and was seen concurrently by a MFM since I had gd. I wanted to switch my care over, but didn't. Since you are only half-way through your pregnancy I would switch if you are more comfortable doing that. I really regretted not switching when my bp was back in the 165/100+ range after delivering and the OB was unreachable for most of the shift. A nurse asked a house OB to cancel my discharge. My OB refused to increase my bp meds. the next two days (kept me in the hospital, but did nothing) and I never saw him again. One of the nurses whispered to me that I should call the MFM as soon as I got home. I called him and he tripled my dose of bp meds. and then added a third dose a week later. I never bothered with my old OB after that. He sent me home with high bp and said I didn't need to come back again for 8 weeks! Who needs care like that? I went straight to the MFM the next time I got pregnant and got the best care with my youngest.

My last pregnancy I went on insulin 5 weeks into my pregnancy and the MFM said I have type II diabetes. I developed pre-eclampsia this time around and was admitted a few times. My daughter was born at 33 weeks and weighed 3 lbs. 15 oz. I developed blood clots in my leg after she was born and was on lovenox shots for six weeks. The pregnancy was high risk, but I had excellent care that made it easier. I highly encourage you to switch to the MFM if you are more comfortable with his/her care.
mom29

Postby mom29 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 05:49 pm

by mom29 (1391 Posts), Sun Oct 14, 2012 05:49 pm

Increasing my bp meds. bought my baby some extra weeks. Maybe a different kind of bp med. would not make you feel sick.

I don't know of any supplements that would help.
mom29

Postby sam10 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 05:56 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Sun Oct 14, 2012 05:56 pm

I am not a doc, but as far as I know unmedicated high BP can be dangerous for the mother and baby. Many complications can result from it (e.g. seizures for mom, placental abruption etc.). The challenge is to not lower the BP too much, so baby's supply does not get compromised, yet it should not get too high for the above mentioned reasons.
I would highly recommend to be seen by an MFM, so you can be evaluated if BP are needed in your case.

Congratulations for making it through so many complicated pregnancies.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Raposa » Sun Oct 14, 2012 09:20 pm

by Raposa (85 Posts), Sun Oct 14, 2012 09:20 pm

I'm currently having BP issues with this pregnancy, and the doctors are trying to keep me at or below 140/90. Above that, you can get into some more serious risks like long-term organ damage. However, for my first pregnancy, I didn't develop high BP until after 33 weeks, so they didn't medicate me until I was induced at 37 weeks. I was placed on bedrest when I got to the 150/95 range instead. It depends both on how high your BP is and how long you still have to go. Many doctors don't like to medicate a smaller rise in order to avoid any side effects (even the safest meds have a few).
1st son, induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e, born 6/18/10.
2nd son, c-section at 37 weeks due to hypertension, born 1/15/13.
Raposa

Postby weesej » Mon Oct 15, 2012 01:22 pm

by weesej (3 Posts), Mon Oct 15, 2012 01:22 pm

Hmm, okay. BP meds aren't a solution to the Pre-E, just keeping me stable enough to continue the pregnancy.
weesej

Postby sam10 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 01:31 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Mon Oct 15, 2012 01:31 pm

Hmm, kind of yes. If BP meds where the solution to PE, there would be a lot of happy people out there.

How are you feeling today?
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby weesej » Mon Oct 15, 2012 06:10 pm

by weesej (3 Posts), Mon Oct 15, 2012 06:10 pm

Today was better, BPs are down a little, so I guess they are just bouncing around for now.
weesej

Return to Ask the Experienced