What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re: What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby featherhaze » Sun Oct 14, 2012 09:55 pm

I had heartburn and pretty bad acid reflux issues with both of my pregnancies (first one normal, HELLP @ 37 wks with second) and the location of the pain was similar to heartburn but it DEFINITELY feels different. It was not a burning pain but more of a pressure, almost like I couldn't catch my breath. It was right in the center of my chest, right under the sternum. It couldn't be ignored and no position relieved it. I am grateful I had the pain because I had no other significant symptoms (one isolated high BP reading one week prior that I think my Dr thought was a fluke). Because my BP was only borderline when I saw the OB and I had no protein in my urine, I was sent home. The pain continued to get worse and I went to maternity triage where they finally did blood work and caught it. I would suggest requesting a blood test if you suspect it may be HELLP. I think I was not diagnosed immediately because I did not have PE or any related conditions with my first pregnancy. From my understanding, the blood test is the only way to know for sure.
featherhaze

Previous

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders