Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New Here & A Little Freaked Out

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

New Here & A Little Freaked Out

Postby jennshuey » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:33 am

by jennshuey (2 Posts), Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:33 am

Hi everyone. I'm Jenn, 30, and I suffered from pre-e at 34 1/2 weeks in my previous pregnancy 3 years ago. I'm now 6 weeks pregnant, and of course I'm a bit freaked out this go around. Sorry this is so long. Here's my story.

My last pregnancy was perfectly normal until my 34 1/2 week checkup. My bp was borderline at the checkup, and my doctor asked me to monitor it and of course watch for symptoms of pre-e. My bp was steadily rising, 176/114 when I was admitted to L&D for monitoring 24 hours later. They put me on the mag drip, administered 100mg doses of Labetalol every 30 minutes until the max dose was given for that day, and started me on the 24 hour urine test. By the next morning my bp was 211/114, so my ob/gyn induced me instead of waiting on the urine test results. I labored for 24 hours unsuccessfully, and was taken for a c section when my bp reached 220/116. My daughter was born at 35 wks, 4lb 5oz, and other than being small for her gestational age she was healthy. She required no time in the NICU, and after 2 days in the incubator and a short stay under the bili lights she was released 5 days after delivery.

On the max dose of Labetalol I wasn't improving at all 3 days after delivery, and I began passing a toilet full of blood clots at a time. I was immediately rushed for ct scan that showed my entire uterus was full of clots, and after more tests it was realized I had lost more blood than thought. My potassium also bottomed out, and one of the doctors on my team stated I was "dead on paper". After 10 days, 3 blood transfusions, blood thinners and meds to break down the clots, and multiple bags of potassium (I lost count), I was finally released when my bp stabilized at 130/101 on a max dose of Labetalol. My bp returned to normal within 3 weeks of my release. I asked my ob/gyn about future risks, and he assured me it would be fine for me to have more children. I would be monitored carefully, and because I was labeled a severe pre-e case I would most likely be sent to the high risk doctor immediately. He did say I would have a "higher than average" chance of repeat pre-e.

Over the last 3 years my bp has crept up, but my family doctor has chosen to monitor it and treat with diet and exercise changes. It normally hovers around 135-140/95.

Now I'm 6 weeks 2 days pregnant with baby #2, and I'm a bit scared. My ob/gyn won't see me until week 7, so I grabbed the first available appointment of Oct 30. I've been monitoring my own bp at home over the last 3 weeks, and my bp has risen. My vision has become a bit blurry as well. It's staying around 154/100. I called my ob/gyn, and was told everything is fine, and they'll see me at my regular appointment. Then it will be decided if I should be referred to the high risk doctor, placed on meds, or monitored. I know being scared of the unknown is normal after experiencing pre-e. My husband seems to think I'm overreacting, but I'm so afraid my bp rising now is a sign that I'm going to have issues throughout my pregnancy.
jennshuey

Re: New Here & A Little Freaked Out

Postby rachelc » Thu Oct 18, 2012 06:39 pm

by rachelc (670 Posts), Thu Oct 18, 2012 06:39 pm

The second time around is definitely scary! Right now because your baseline is higher than the "normal" your bp isn't probably going to be too concerning to your doctor. BUT, you the best advocate for yourself and your baby. If you would be more comfortable with a high risk doctor then ask for one. I personally would want to know what your doctor's plan is for this pregnancy. Of course you can't account for all of the variables that can happen but, I would certainly want to know how s/he plans to monitor you this time around, what labs are going to be run and how often, and what your call in bp number is. I hope that all goes well this time around!
rachelc

Postby jennshuey » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:17 am

by jennshuey (2 Posts), Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:17 am

I'm trying to remain calm and remind myself there's a chance I'll show no signs and have a perfectly normal pregnancy. It's so great to find a community full of others who know exactly what it's like to face that fear the second time. My list of questions for my ob is getting longer. He's a great doctor, but I would definitely feel more comfortable with the high risk doctor. Unfortunately the closest high risk doc is almost 2 hours away, so I'm sure I won't be referred to him unless it's absolutely necessary.

The good news is my bp came back down to "my normal" yesterday and today, so I'm sure my anxiety was helping it rise at least a bit.
jennshuey

Postby sam10 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:28 am

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:28 am

Congratulations on your pregnancy! To be pregnant again after PE/HELLP is scary and being worried is normal. It'd say it would be almost weird if you weren't concerned.

Some fluctuations in BP is normal and expected, and for some stress can make BP higher.

I will keep my fingers crossed for an easy 9 months:-)

Let us know how your first appointment goes.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced