spot urine PCR test

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
tracym

Re: spot urine PCR test

Postby tracym » Thu Nov 15, 2012 05:28 pm

Hi :)

600mg in a 24 hour is not insignificant...but not at all high. Mine was 6000+ when it was checked a week prior to delivery and I've heard of others higher still...but not long after that my kidneys really started to struggle and almost stopped producing urine altogether which was what ultimately got me delivered at 33 weeks.

Any spot test will produce results based on the concentration of your urine at the time. The lab won't care, they can still do the test...but first morning urine is always preferable.

Are you going public? You should be seeing a dr now you have a diagnosis if you're not already...when do you go back? Ask them to repeat the test, which they probably will be planning to do anyway.
Tracy

Jack - 37 weeks Feb '01 (mild PE dx 33 weeks)
Kate - 33 weeks Feb '05 (severe PE dx 31 weeks)

Betheney

Postby Betheney » Thu Nov 15, 2012 05:39 am

I did find a few studies where they claim the spot PCR is more accurate, i also found this online. Althought i know this is from the UK but maybe that's why my doctors prefer the PCR test

"Alternatively the concentration of protein in the urine may be compared to the creatine level in a spot urine sample. This is termed the protein/creatinine ratio (PCR). The 2005 UK Chronic Kidney Disease guidelines states PCR is a better test than 24 hour urinary protein measurement."

When you said "Any spot tests are dependent on time of day..." does that mean it depends on how concentrated my urine is... because i went to the bathroom and came out and they said "okay we'd love a urine sample for our test now" i explained that i just went and so don't have any urine to give, so i drank as much water as possible and went to the toilet an hour later for them and gave them a sample, my urine was the total opposite to concentrated and didn't have much colour at all. But then the midwife i chatted to said it didn't really work like that and the concentration of pee or how long it's been since you've been to the bathroom doesn't make a difference.

I wondered if it was the equivelant of 600mg in the 24 hr but when preeclampsia is diagnosed at a level above 300 wouldn't 600 be an incredibly high reading wouldn't it. I mean that would mean my kidneys are pretty darn screwed wouldn't it.

<3

tracym

Postby tracym » Wed Nov 14, 2012 08:08 pm

Hi, I'm in Australia too (SA). Mind you it's been a while since I was pg, my youngest is nearly 8...but when I was in hospital prior to delivery with her the midwives seemed to think the spot PCR was becoming the standard for diagnosis, however the Professor of Obstetrics was of the opinion that a 24 hour was more accurate. The PCR is certainly useful to see whether an elevated level of protein is likely to be present, which would then generally be followed up by a 24 hour.

It depends how your results are reported, but I would think that .06 PCR is equal to 600mg in a 24 hour. What are the reference ranges on the report? Any spot tests are dependent on time of day...I'd still request a 24 hour just so you know.

Good luck x
Tracy

Jack - 37 weeks Feb '01 (mild PE dx 33 weeks)
Kate - 33 weeks Feb '05 (severe PE dx 31 weeks)

Betheney

spot urine PCR test

Postby Betheney » Wed Nov 14, 2012 05:28 pm

So I am now 33.5 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed at 29.5 weeks with gestational hypertension.

However now at 33.5 my body stopped responding to my 200mg of labetalol bi-daily and my BP was consistently staying up around the 140-160/100-110 so I was admitted to hospital for medication review changed to 200mg of labetalol 4 times daily and bloods and urine were tested. Bloods came back all clear... but the urine...

Now you ladies might not be able to help me because I'm in Australia where they favor the PCR spot urine test over the 24hr test. But my doctor in hospital said a normal person should have a reading of .03 and mine is .06 he said its enough to diagnose preeclampsia. I can't find anywhere online what this result really is... everything I find has completely different numbers. I asked my midwife who said many hospitals use many diff ways of recording and reading results. But I still just can't find ANYTHING and I just want to know how bad this .06 is. I thought maybe the doctor got it wrong and I done have PE but the doctor the next morning agreed that with those readings I have PE. I thought maybe I miss heard the results but on my discharge papers it says PCR spot urine .06

Like I said its unlikely any of you will be able to help but they seriously never do 24hr urine tests here.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”