Exercise while pregnant after early/severe pre-e

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Exercise while pregnant after early/severe pre-e

Postby LauraBeck12 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 03:25 pm

What did your doctors recommend that you do and don't do for physical activity after pre-eclampsia?
Laura Beck, mother to Our most cherished Love - Our son- 8/1/11- 8/4/11
severe swelling and increased blood pressure started between 20-22 weeks. (ignored by medical professionals)
was finally clinically diagnosed with severe pre-e at 27 weeks.
spent 2 weeks in hospital.
He was born at 29 weeks, at exactly 2lbs. classical incision c-section.
He lived for 3 days in the NICU , autopsy said "lung failure" was cause of death.

http://clercbaby.blogspot.com/
LauraBeck12

Re: Exercise while pregnant after early/severe pre-e

Postby sam10 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 04:26 pm

My doctors actually wanted me to exercise during pregnancy (continue my pre-pregnancy routine as long as comfortable and within acceptable limits for a pregnant lady). As soon as PE hit this time around I was put on bedrest and that meant no more activity at all. But at that point I could not have exercised or done much else, as I felt put through the wringer.
Now during my postpartum care, it has been more than strongly suggested that I will start exercising regularly to take care of my health with some serious focus on the long-term benefits for my heart.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Fri Nov 30, 2012 08:29 pm

My doc said swimming and walking he feels are best
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby tree » Fri Nov 30, 2012 09:55 pm

I haven't gotten pregnant again, but I did ask about exercise as part of a discussion on managing a future pregnancy. My doctor said that she would tell me to continue doing whatever I was doing before pregnancy as long as it was comfortable. She told me not to over do it and to keep my heart rate under a pretty low limit compared to my age calculated maximum. She generally advises against starting new types of exercise during pregnancy or increasing intensity. My doctor did not put any restrictions on my non-pregnant activity and ordered me to get moving again when I had trouble losing the weight.

I exercised during my last pregnancy, and I noticed some pretty firm limits on what I could do. I was able to walk, swim, do pilates and prenatal yoga for most of it. During my second trimester, I biked and cross country skied a bit. I started having serious trouble with aerobic exercise after about 25 weeks, and I dialed it back pretty dramatically after that. Light exercise made me feel better and reduced my swelling when I could manage it.

The research on exercise and preeclampsia is inconclusive. While exercise has long-term cardiovascular benefits, it does not seem to offer any short term benefits during pregnancy. Several years ago, a British study found that really intense exercise in the first trimester increased the risk of severe PE.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster ... nd-pr.html
I could not find any other studies that supported that result. A more recent study found that exercise reduces the risk factors for PE.
http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2011/10/1 ... eclampsia/
It seems that most doctors consider exercise as one of those things that probably doesn't hurt and probably doesn't help much. I think it really depends on how you respond to exercise (feel better or feel worse?) and what your doctor thinks about your particular situation.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby LauraBeck12 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Awesome info!! Thank you so much for sharing! :)
I contacted a peri and she said swimming/ yoga and such are reccomended! I'll lay off the running.
Laura Beck, mother to Our most cherished Love - Our son- 8/1/11- 8/4/11
severe swelling and increased blood pressure started between 20-22 weeks. (ignored by medical professionals)
was finally clinically diagnosed with severe pre-e at 27 weeks.
spent 2 weeks in hospital.
He was born at 29 weeks, at exactly 2lbs. classical incision c-section.
He lived for 3 days in the NICU , autopsy said "lung failure" was cause of death.

http://clercbaby.blogspot.com/
LauraBeck12

Return to Ask the Experienced