Post Reply FAQ Members Login

HELLP.....NOT the second time!

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

HELLP.....NOT the second time!

Postby peich » Tue Dec 11, 2012 01:30 pm

by peich (2 Posts), Tue Dec 11, 2012 01:30 pm

April 2011 I lost our little girl to severe HELLP at 23 weeks. I almost lost my life as well and it was one of the most scariest, heartbreaking situations my husband and I have ever encountered. I posted on here last year regarding my story and it helped so much to see others were going through the same thing. But, what I really wanted was to see a story with someone having a healthy baby AFTER a pregnancy loss with HELLP so early on. I wanted something to hold on to to bring me hope that I could still be a Mom some day. I have started this post numerous times and deleted it... but I feel like I am not alone out there with these thoughts and my current story might bring that hope to someone else....

Nov 2011, 8 months after we lost our first angel, I found out I was pregnant again. My due date was 2 days off from the previous year. My husband and I were beyond terrified! I went in to my OB immediately and we made a plan. I was to be seen every 2 weeks with blood work taken each time. I did a urine analysis to get a base of where my numbers were at the start of my pregnancy. I was to have ultrasounds every month. And I was to take daily a baby aspirin, prescription prenatals, and folic acid. I was to also see a high risk OB at MFM once a month. My OBs were so supportive and even gave me cell phone numbers to call in case I needed anything! Our goal was for me to make it to 28 weeks...at 26 weeks that goal started to look unreachable.... I was hospitalized overnight due to my blood pressure being very high at an office visit and a small amount of protein spilling into my urine. Luckily liver functions were still normal. I was released the next day and was to be on moderate bed rest. I would now have to go twice a week to my regular OB and twice a month to the high risk OB. My blood pressures were all over the place, but everything else still looked decent. At 30 weeks I was re-admitted to the hospital for an extreme blood pressure and again, discharged the next day...but this time on complete bed rest. Now my weekly schedule was 2 OB appointments, 1 that included a fetal stress test and then a high risk OB apt. with a fetal stress test. By 33 weeks, exhibiting even higher blood pressures and more protein in my urine, the drs made the decision to hospitalize me for the remainder of my pregnancy. Over that weekend my liver levels began to rise and the fluid levels around the baby were going down. At 34 weeks I was induced and our 3lb, 11oz little girl was born the next day. I was put on the magnesium after labor and closely monitored until I was discharged 3 days later. Our daughter only spent 6 days in the NICU (as I had the steroid shots for the lungs prior to being induced) and came home at a whopping 3lbs, 9oz! A week later my blood pressure had come down, but it took almost a month for it to be normal again.

So needless to say, there is hope! I made it 11 weeks longer with this pregnancy AND the baby survived ....with no signs of prematurity at her current 5 1/2 months except for her tiny size (a whopping 12 lbs)! It wasn't an easy road this time around and I did end up with severe preeclampisa...but NO HELLP. Now...if we had waited any longer to induce... maybe... but my doctors were amazing and I owe my life and my daughter's life to them!
peich

Re: HELLP.....NOT the second time!

Postby sam10 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 08:38 pm

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Tue Dec 11, 2012 08:38 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so happy to hear that both you and your baby girl are doing well.
I recently had my baby girl and it got a bit deicy toward the end. We are both ok now. I even stopped taking my BP medication.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Tue Dec 11, 2012 08:57 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Tue Dec 11, 2012 08:57 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl! Thanks for stopping by to tell your story. I am so glad to hear that you are both doing well.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby Mari2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 08:39 am

by Mari2012 (7 Posts), Tue Dec 18, 2012 08:39 am

Congratulations, your story is inspiring to me as I experienced HELLP during my first pregnancy and delivered at 28.5 weeks. Thank you for sharing.
Mom to one amazing toddler girl, born at 28.5 weeks due to HELLP.
Mari2012

Postby mcmurra9 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 08:04 pm

by mcmurra9 (2 Posts), Sat Dec 29, 2012 08:04 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this story. I delivered my son this past September at 23w5 days due to severe pre-eclampsia and HELLP. He died at 4 days old. It's been heartbreaking. I'm still going through testing, but so far we have no answer and I'm terrified of being pregnant again, but trying my best to be optimistic. I really appreciate hearing your story.
mcmurra9

Postby brogansmum12 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 am

by brogansmum12 (2 Posts), Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 am

so happy it worked out for you in the end I had HELLP with my lovely daughter It went undiagnosed and I had an emergancy section at 29+3 weeks and 2 hours from death to a lovely 2lb 7oz baby girl Im hoping that if I get pregnant again I will be ok and not have it again im terrified! x
brogansmum12

Postby mulholland.miracles » Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:22 pm

by mulholland.miracles (8 Posts), Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:22 pm

I have to say, all of your bravery, and everyone else's has given me strength to try one more time!!! I have two boys, one born at 27.2 weeks 1lb 8oz, spent 67 days in nice, delivered via c section due to preeclampsia; my second son I had at 31 weeks, had gestational diabetes, cholestasis , hellp and preeclampsia. hoping for an easier pregnancy this time!!
mulholland.miracles

Postby chica » Sat Feb 22, 2014 02:11 am

by chica (3 Posts), Sat Feb 22, 2014 02:11 am

Lovely to hear your beautiful success story. I'm 30 weeks and so far no sign of repeating the hellish hellp saga. Thank you for sharing, it gives me hope that now we know what to look for we will get through this one. Enjoy this precious time with your little one - it's such a wonderful age. X
chica

Postby mnickerson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 04:16 pm

by mnickerson (15 Posts), Mon Feb 24, 2014 04:16 pm

This is the story I have been waiting to read and hope to be repeating soon! Congrats on the two of you making it through your pregnancy ok. I am currently 33/4 with my second after having had Class 1 HELLP (no PE) with my first. I am being monitored closely through blood work and so far everything has looked perfectly fine. But we all know that HELLP typically presents suddenly, so I'm just hoping to avoid it altogether this time around! You just gave me renewed hope that I'll get my wish.
mnickerson

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders