Coping with the holidays

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

Coping with the holidays

Postby m » Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:47 am

This article has some helpful thoughts both for those with a recent loss and for those who are a few years out:

http://stillstandingmag.com/2012/12/coping-with-the-holidays/

My advice would be to do only what you feel up to; nothing more. For anyone who has lost a baby recently, please know that it will get better. The first year of holidays was the hardest for me and each year, while still difficult, has been easier.
DS 2/5/09 - 2/13/09; severe PE at 28 weeks
DD March 2010; PIH, preterm labor at 36 weeks, 10 days NICU
m

Re: Coping with the holidays

Postby sam10 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 03:03 pm

Thank you for sharing!
Three years ago we lost Henry. I was hospitalized on Dec. 23, just to go home without a baby after the holidays. The holidays are a struggle, especially as Henry's birthday is the day after the biggest party night of the year. I have not been able to celebrate New Year's yet and am not sure I ever will be again. I have, however, found comfort in putting up a tree last year.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: Coping with the holidays

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Fri Dec 21, 2012 06:11 am

Yes thank you for sharing. This will be our third christmas without Ben and all the christmas in the air is so bittersweet. My husbands birthday is christmas eve and its so hard for him to celebrate. This year being pregnant again also brings all these emotions I didn't expect. It never goes away, these babies are and will always be with us , missed and loved so very much.
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Return to Grief and Loss